Organised

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sobrien

Reaction score
Hey guys,
As i keep mentioning, i am about to get a new coastal carpet python. Apart from having the enclosure ready and a snake hook, what else would i need to have before the snake comes home?
Cheers, Simon

Food I guess 8) Why do you need a snake hook? Shouldn't you try and get the snake used to being handled? I have a coastal carpet and she is now used to the smell of my hand. Also knows she gets fed with it too. Smart :lol:

Glenn

A snake hook is a useful tool, I like to use them when I am returning my animals from the feeding container to their cages. It prevents any confusion when they are in "full on feed" mode. :) I think the most important thing you can arm yourself with is species specific knowledge. Make sure and do your research, pick up a book or two, check out as many websites as possible, and talk to others. I get the idea that you have taken care of all that, though, so good luck!!

I almost always use a hook to get my snakes out of their enclosures. Especially to get them out of their feeding tubs. I think it's a good routine to have, because they learn that when the hook touches them, it's time to go, not eat. It's weird, but even when they are all worked up after eating, as soon as I touch them with the hook, they calm right down.

wish I could get a huge hook (and jam it ummmmmm nevermind)for my x and drop her over the side of a boat for shark bait.
On second thoughts wouldnt work no self respecting shark would be game enuff to go near her.

:evil:

Hi Simon

sounds like you're just starting out actually keeping snakes. I went through that a couple of months ago. This is what I did.

I built an enclosure with heating and thermostat/lighting plus a red light etc.

I furnished the enclosure so it would look nice to me and be functional for my snake. I made sure that there was a temperature gradient to give the occupant the option of warm and cooler places to allow thermoregulation ( put the heating gear up one end if it's a long enclosure). I ran the system for a few days to ensure all was reliable. I got an order of frozen weaner mice and fuzzies fro Reptile Munchies (Nicole's rec.). I got a snake hook that was short enough to allow me to use it in the enclosure. I got some tweezers and some latex glove. The tweezers were to hold the food item and the gloves for ??? I'm not sure anymore). The tweezers never get used anymore and the gloves remain in an unopened packet. I got a water bowl from the Herp Shop (biggest one I could find) and that serves as a bath and a drinker and is used quite often as a bath (I've never seen my snake actually drink). I bought some of that liquid soap (antibacterial) to wash my hands before and after I handle my snake(Que. for Africanchillidick and Alapachemaron (club member)). I got a small plastic crate to feed my new pet in and as a container to hold her when I clean out her enclosure. I bought a large bag of Breeders Choice as a substrate (Controversial subject but works well for me). If you can make sure that the enclosure has good ventilation or at least try to replace the air in it on a regular basis as the CO2 buildup is probably not great for the inhabitants. I put a computer fan in to do this for me - I switch it on for 5 minutes every now and again (oneday I'll hook it up to a cheap ($9 from Big W) timer and it will go in for 15 mins once a day. Make sure any furniture (rocks logs branches etc. are not able to be dislodged by the snake and cause injury. Change the water in the drinker regularly (mine gets Breeders Choice pellets and dust from my snakes midnight skinny dips). Place the thermostat in the appropriate place. Don't put any adhesive tape inside the enclosure (hint from Paul - Pythonss and others) asthis can cause major problem if snake gets stuck on it. If transporting a snake in a cloth bag (when you go to pick it up) turn the bag inside out so that there's no chance of the snake getting entangled in the loose loop threads from the bag seams (this has happened with fatal results - thanks to Peter Harlow for that).

Most important - if all else fails - enjoy your new pal.

I Should add that a lot of my newfound snake keeping knowledge is as a direct result of the help recieved from Aussie Pythons & Snakes.

Oops!

Nice answer, Graham.... and thanks for mentioning the tape! I knew about this, but forgot, and have just installed a temperature guage in the enclosure using double-sided tape.

The snake knocked it of the wall (crawling over it no doubt) and I just stuck it back on again. Too lazy to use the screws provided. Will rectify this tonight, but your post reminded me and probably saved my snakes from losing scales to the tape! Phew! :wink:

Hey,
Thanks again, I am starting out with snakes (i already have a beardie and 2 bluies) I just got my enclosure today from the herp shop with a hook and some other accessories. I have learnt a lot, even if i already new it, it has refreshed my memory. Thanks again.
Cheers :p :p :D :D 8) 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back