Our New Tank - Fiished Finally

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tijah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Our New Tank - Finished Finally

Hi guys

Just thought I'd post some shots of our tank so far. Still empty, but it's come a long way from being an aquarium.

It's double-sided, but we had to put a sheet up on one side for photos, to block the light from the windows.

All materials are authentic, collected from our property, except for the water bowl, which is from Universal Rocks. First to guess what the skull belonged to gets a pat on the back :lol:

Comments welcome :)

- Tija

Attachments

• lizardtank1.jpg
    lizardtank1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 331
  • lizardtank2.jpg
    lizardtank2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 297
  • lizardtank3.jpg
    lizardtank3.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 295
  • lizardtank4.jpg
    lizardtank4.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 253
  • lizardtank5.jpg
    lizardtank5.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 236
  • lizardtank6.jpg
    lizardtank6.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 199
  • lizardtank7.jpg
    lizardtank7.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 174
  • lizardtank8.jpg
    lizardtank8.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 170
  • lizardtank9.jpg
    lizardtank9.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 220
  • lizardtank10.jpg
    lizardtank10.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 144
  • lizardtank11.jpg
    lizardtank11.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 196
  • lizardtank12.jpg
    lizardtank12.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Horse. And nice set up.

Will you regularly replace the foliage or keep it when it browns off?

Looks like the tank has been drilled in the back corner. I bet a snake would notice that real quick!

Last edited:
Bunyip ?

Who is going to be in this great setup ??

Thats really good. I think the leaves will get very messy. Looks great

nice enclosure is that a goats skull?
or maybe a deer lol

Last edited:
That looks great. Is it for lizards? (photo name suggests yes...) If so, I would stabilise those rocks just in case anyone tries to dig under them (if you haven't already).

Thanks everyone :)

It's a horse skull, as SteveNT said, as did JrFear. Not quite a bunyip ;) The horse died (of natural causes) a number of years ago and his skull was just begging to be admired :lol:

We'll be housing an ackie in here -- it's a 6x2x2, by the way.

The foliage is something we'll be experimenting with. For the moment, with nothing in there, we'll just see how it ages with nothing bumping it around. We've had a couple of really hot days, so the eucalyptus is curling rapidly.

@Steve, yes, the tank has been thrice drilled in the back, as it was first purchased for a marine aquarium setup. The holes have been covered securely in wire mesh, so should be safe for an ackie.

@Flaviruthless, we have stabilised the rocks. Having had it set up as an aquarium, we're well aware all rocks need to be very secure, as a rock-slide in an aquarium means huge loss (corals squished, fishies trapped/crushed... just a tail or fin wiggling...). Thankfully, we never had an experience like that.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Just curious, what happened to the marine set up?

The ackie will love it!

Oh perfect setup for an ackie! I wish i had an enclosure like that for my male to run around in, hes so huge, like Huge! Those plants wont last long either ;) Awesome Job!

There's a "Wolf Creek" theme to your enclosure...I'm guessing the skull's an English Backpacker?

Just curious, what happened to the marine set up?

It was a terrible day... We had to replace a heater that had died, so decided to go for the best. And then the thermostat fried overnight and we woke up to a cooked tank.

When we got in touch with the guy we got the heater from, he was quite surprised to hear about the thermostat -- the company that manufactured them only encountered a couple of others that had died.

The only thing we're thankful about is that there was actually very little life in the tank, as we'd just had an attack of pests that had wiped life clean out of the tank -- trifid anemones, to be precise!

Oh perfect setup for an ackie! I wish i had an enclosure like that for my male to run around in, hes so huge, like Huge! Those plants wont last long either ;) Awesome Job!

Thanks :) The plants... well, as long as the little guy doesn't go sitting on them day and night, they are fairly tough (they came straight from our hot, dry land). But they will need replacing every now and then.

Nice setup mate, Horse would of been my next guess (After t-rex)

Hah, not quite big enough for a t-rex -- it is almost 2 feet from the back of the skull to the front of the jaw, though. He was a pretty big horse ;)

Awesome setup! Looks realistic and would make it feel at home :)

Really amazing set up! Well Done!

Thanks, guys -- appreciate it :)

There's a "Wolf Creek" theme to your enclosure...I'm guessing the skull's an English Backpacker?

Oh no, you've caught us out. How'd you guess? :lol: The 'Wolf Creek' look is entirely accidental -- honest :)

Now all we need to do is track down a breeder and introduce a little fellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing more cliche than skulls in enclosures.

Well, that may be, but how clichéd is having your very own, once-loyal-horse skull in the enclosure?

Well, that may be, but how clichéd is having your very own, once-loyal-horse skull in the enclosure?

great. Nothing like a skull of your deceased friends in your house....
Very Jeffery Dahmer. ;)

great. Nothing like a skull of your deceased friends in your house....
Very Jeffery Dahmer. ;)

It's really not that different to hunting trophies, which plenty sport on their walls. I'm sure the 'skull in the enclosure' cliché must have its roots in actual skulls -- they produce imitations today for a reason. Both of these are a form of respecting the animal -- after all, this particular skull was only going to sit out in the paddock, unseen.

But perhaps we should agree to disagree.

I'd love to see any other Wolf Creek-esque tanks out there :D

Tijah your enclosure looks awesome mate. Don't worry about the haters that will bag it out they are just pathetic and jealous.
Well done mate. Please keep us updated with pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back