Our snake just died.......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinefamily

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We are in a state of shock. Last night our 7 yr old bredli Oscar who we adopted earlier this year from an unwanted home mad a noise in his enclosure. I went to have a look and started thrashing about wildly with his mouth open. After watching for a minute or two he started to slow down but looked all tensed up. By the time I rang 2 emergency vets for help/ advice he was gone.
We are going to get an autopsy done to find out what happened, reading some threads on here it looks like it could have been IBD or OMPV.
We are devastated.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to here that about your snake, that would have been a terrible thing to see. Do you have other reptiles?

Yes. We didn't know what was happening; at first we thought he was being aggressive, rolling around. Then we realized something was wrong.
We have a juvenile bredli, and three bearded dragons.

Yes. We didn't know what was happening; at first we thought he was being aggressive, rolling around. Then we realized something was wrong.
We have a juvenile bredli, and three bearded dragons.

Make sure you give everything a really good clean just in case it is something that is contagious.

Sorry to hear would of been quite disturbing to see. Interesting to hear what the autopsy outcome is.

We will start giving the vivarium a complete scrub today.
And I will post on here when we find out the results. Does anyone know how long these things take?

We will start giving the vivarium a complete scrub today.
And I will post on here when we find out the results. Does anyone know how long these things take?
Can't help with how long it takes sorry but make sure you clean all of the feeding tongs and other stuff as well as the enclosure.

Thanks, Andynic. We have already disinfected the hook. I will remember the tongs as well.

- - - Updated - - -

We have had the post-mortem done by the vet. The biggest shock is that "Oscar" was female. We took for granted that the man we got her from knew for sure. Apparently "Oscar" had a tumour that was spreading out, and was close to her heart. This is what probably caused her death. At least no virus or infection.
It is strangely relieving to know what she died of. But we do miss her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back