Ovulation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Ok, lets start with what I DO know....
Sometime after cooling, females snakes ovulate if they wish to breed this year.
The follicles develop for 1-3 months before ovulation
If you are lucky, you can see them ovulate (lumping)
Only mating prior to ovulation are any good

What i want to know is:
How long after warming and introduction do they usually ovulate?

I have a trio of water who have been together for about 5weeks now.
One appears to possibly be gravid, the other not.
I was thinking of seperating them today and leaving things where they are.
Today I witnessed 2 matings which, from what I have read and been told indicates that the female who was mating has probably not ovulated yet.
Any body give me an idea how long please?

It all comes down to when you introduce your snakes. Childreni for example, i introduce mine about mid way through cooling. They will continue to mate for the rest of cooling and the start of warming and then the female will ovulate.
Female pythons can retain sperm from matings months earlier and will then ovulate once the tempreture is right.
If pythons (like waters) are introduce at the end of cooling or after being warmed females will ovulate once they have mated enough to produce a fertile clutch of eggs.
BHPs and Womas tend to mate early and ovulate late, females retain sperm. It also depends on species.
There are alot of factors, the best way to know is to wait and look for signs that she gravid. Ovulation is not always obvious.

i was told at tafe that some snakes are "induced ovalators" which means that the males have to mate with the female and when the spurs on the end of the males hemipenes are retracted it causes the female to ovulate.By doing this it is the second mating that actually fertilizes the eggs,not the first.

Female pythons can lay a fertile clutch from one good mating and can retain sperm for months, python ovulation seems to be more tempreture dependent.
Not sure about elapids and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back