Paint or sealant first??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwaka

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

About to do my 3rd coat of render, and wondering if there is any reason why I can't paint directly on the render before the pondtite? Logically, it makes sense to seal it last, so none of the paint comes off, but having never done it before, just thought I would see if anyone has already tried it and had issues with that in the past.

Cheers

Pondtite is probably designed to soak in and seal cement-based materials, not a painted surface. It probably won't do what you expect it to do in the way of sealing.

Jamie

In another life I used to work for a paint company in Melbourne and we sold pondtite. Like Jamie said, it's designed for porous surfaces. The other thing to consider is it only comes in 4 colours and from memory it can't be tinted so it limits you artistically ;)

i just did a rock wall and used pondtite on top, it gives it a glossy effect but you don't notice it after a while. I made a rock wall a year ago and i sealed under the paint and sometimes if my stimsoni dips in the water and goes up on the rock wall it used to get all over him and i would have to bathe him. it doesn't happen any more really but it used to be a problem...

Pondtite is probably designed to soak in and seal cement-based materials, not a painted surface. It probably won't do what you expect it to do in the way of sealing.

Jamie

It is a waterproofing membrane it doesn't soak in as such.

Paint and then seal.

It is a waterproofing membrane it doesn't soak in as such.

Paint and then seal.

It forms a membrane when it cures.

I've never used it for a fake rock wall, just going from decade old info. From memory it's an opaque finish so what would be the point in painting at all just to paint over the top with pondtite?

It forms a membrane when it cures.

I've never used it for a fake rock wall, just going from decade old info. From memory it's an opaque finish so what would be the point in painting at all just to paint over the top with pondtite?

It also comes in clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back