Painting over pondtite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryant16

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question. I have a hide that I made out of styrofoam and then used pond sealer (pondtite) to seal it all. However, I don't like the color so I'm contemplating just painting over the top of it in a better color. So my question is if I paint over the top of the grout in a non toxic paint and let it dry will that be sufficient enough? Or will I have to do something over the top of the paint?
Thanks for your help

HEY i just found clear pondtite!! so you can paint your stuff then coat with clear stuff! i didnt want the yuck colours either haha

just keep in mind that pondtite is shiney when dry... easily solved by a light rub with a fine grade sandpaper. make sure you paint it on at right angles to the last layer, 3 - 4 coats will normally do it. the clear stuff goes on like water, its a lot thinner than the coloured stuff. and a tub goes a loooong way too.

if your doing a tank for lizards i wouldnt use the pondtite, it wont cope with large claws. use acrylic render rather than grout, its a lot stronger, its as easy to apply as grout. again use 3 - 4 coats, making each coat a thicker consistancy than the last

hmmm i didnt realise about the claw thing.... at the moment my beardie is only a bub so claws shouldnt do too much damage for a while yet (i hope) and should get tooo sharp - she has rocks to hopefully keep them shaped haha what im using the pondtite for is a little pool that wont be in there all the time though o should last a while - only going in there for play time haha

good tips Jax thanks

if its for a removeable pool then just give it a few more coats , like i said the clear stuff goes on like water, just let it dry well between coats. if it looks as though he's tearing it up then start making another one.... theyre good fun to make and you can make them any size/shape that you want. and the grout/render and the pondtite should make quite a few without you putting your hand in your pocket...

another alternative is to get a ceramic dog / cat bowl (depending on the size of your mate), and making a 'surround' for it, that way the inside will be water tight, scratch proof and you can still make the outside look like something a little more natural.

for this one i used a $2 plastic cake container, the "rock" just sits over it. its for a young snake but the theory is the same, and i've since painted the 'inside' black.

Yeah i saw that on the diy forum! looks so good !! i have a couple of bits made already and have just used mod podge to seal them and sprinkled some sane over the last coat - so far so good. going to start work on pride rock i think next hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back