Panther shot in Victoria!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same stories have been circulating England for 30 years or more, there are numerous photo's and even video of these cats. They reckon they were released when they introduced the Dangerous Wild Animals Act which made people get licences for these animals and of course escapes from zoos and parks back when security isn't up to the standards of today.
Having visted Fritz Mahtens (sp) 'park' many years ago in Victoria I would believe anything was possible. He had big cats in terrible badly built small cages. He also had a badly emaciated obviously wild caught BHP in an unlocked little cage, we were going to pinch it for it's own good but chickened out, wish we had.

I'm not disputing whether or not panthers are roaming the aussie bush, i live in the heart of ''Lithgow Panther'' country, except our local version is the ''Tarana tiger'' which some say is a mainland thylacine, who knows, what we do know is their are a lot of nutty storytellers out for a bit of attention cause mum didn't quite love them enough, or mum loved them too much. It's a bit like religion, will u accept it because u ''hope'' it's true? Would u not accept it because u hope it's not true? Or would u not really care because the V8's are racing around a track right now as we speak? Go the Holdens.

Parko said:
Lmao, who would be stupid enough to throw a panther carcass in the river? Why the river? What would possibly drive him to throw a discovery like that into a river? That is the real mystery lol, does the mystery dumbass panther hunter really exist? Or is he just a myth? Can a hunter really be that stupid, very hard to believe, i need proof of his lack of intelligence.

It is common for hunters to put shot game into a river, especially in victoria where the rivers are very cold with the water originating from the alps. This is done with deer to chill the meat to prevent it going bad. It also stops flies from laying eggs on the carcass.

With the cat it probably would be to make sure the hair didnt slip (fall out) if he wanted to turn it into a rug or get it taxidermed.

weather its genuine or not????

cheers

Jonny

So many sightings it has to be true?!?! Damn! I better get prepared for those little flying saucers landing :shock:

Im a big fan of Cryptozoology and understand that we dont know what is left to be discovered (Hell we dont even know the reservoir species for the Ebola virus, and weve hacked open everything you could think of!) but without definative proof like and actual carcass brought in it gets by same interest as the 'definitive yeah I saw it alright' accounts of the Chupacabra, Wendigo, Yeti, Big Foot, Pleasiosaur, Vampires,Wraiths, Ghosts..........basically theirs just sooo much.lol

I met a yowie once, i was out on a date with a chick called nessie from scotland.

One of my very sane mates truly believes he saw a yowie in Coffs Harbour.

diamond_python said:
I agree with the river thing. Does sound fishy but I hope it is true :)

It is an old deer hunters trick for preserving the carcase. It keeps the flies and their maggots off as well as keeping the meat cool.

What I am unsure about is why he removed the tail. It is not like there is a bounty on them and you needed to hand in the tail as proof of capture.

I got the impression from the story that the carcass is not recoverable, if he has indeed done the ol deer hunters trick(tricky nickies those deer hunters are) then he would have assured that he could recover the whole carcass right?

And in other news, police are searching for a man after an attack on a panther at Melbourne Zoo overnight. Police believe the man broke into the zoo between 10pm-5am and entered the panther enclosure. Evidence left at the scene suggests the man ?took advantage? of the poor defenceless panther as it slept. When the panther awoke the man attacked the panther. During the struggle the panther?s tail was severed, and as yet, has not been recovered. Police believe the man responsible is crazy as cat poo and probably lives by himself in the middle of the bush, and most likely does not encounter women very often. Police ask that anyone who sees this man (or the tail) runs?

My understanding was that he threw it in the river to dispose of it with no intention of retrieving it. The photo looks very odd now I have seen it again. He is right in the background and the cat is right in the forground, a very obvious simple trick.

There are very few bullets around that could take an animals head off these days. I know that for a fact as I have never seen an animals head taken off in a hunt, I am from South Africa and have never seen this. Hunting is really big in my country. You are talking some serious firepower, and you are not allowed to have this in oz!

However there are plenty of bullets that would easily behead a domestic cat, which is what that photo looks like it has in it - someone's pet kitty.

peterescue said:
It BS. He's out hunting but cant bring back a carcass, He tooled up to take large game(blew the cats head off) so he would have the set up to get it back same as if he got a pig or a deer. If he's trophy shooting he's not gonna use that kind of ammo.
Only has the tail, wheres the paws, the ears, some teeth. The carcass is hanging from a tree so some of it will still be there, In rugged terrain, he's on a bike, cant be to rugged.

I haven't read all of the posts, but I am lol

I agree with you 100% Peter. This bloke sounds like a real tosser! But apparently the "professional" *insert snickering here* hunter threw the carcass in the river............4 months ago!!!! :shock:

Sounds like BS, Smells like BS, I would dare say it is BS! :wink:

One plus is that hunters may be now more included to take out the odd feral cat or two (or million).

It will be interesting to see what the genetic testing on the tail comes back with. Alas that leaves us with 3 weeks of idle speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back