Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonL

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some pics of a Yellow Bellied Sea Snake that I got called to release a few weeks back.. After spending 24 hours in a bucket of fresh water with some salt added I didn't hold much hope for him, he was hardly moving and looked rather drab by the time he got to me, but rapidly came to life when placed in a rock pool before release and swam off quite strongly when released which was surprising. As his condition wasn't great, I didn't bother getting too many pics of this guy. For those who don't know about this species, they are a truely pelagic ocean going species, they survive in captivity about as well as White Pointer Sharks and wash up on beaches during rough weather esp if their are cold water currents close to the coast. Note the deeply keeled body, seriously designed for swimming.

xxxxx-2.jpg

xxxxxx.jpg

xx-8.jpg

x-9.jpg

xxxxxxx-1.jpg

xxxx-4.jpg

xxx-5.jpg

wow, what an awsome looking snakes.

That's amazing. Lucky to have seen one of them, let alone hold one! How venomous are they?

We get a few washed up around here every year, though I personally havn't got hold of one for a few years now (aka since I'd started taking pics) so was glad to be able to release it.. Feel like?? ummm felt like a wet snake I guess ;) :lol:

very nice jason, im hoping to see a few diff types while im diving, do you know the distribution of the yellow bellys, sea kraits ect?

P. platurus is found in all tropical / sub tropical oceans excluding the Atlantic, it is found all over Aust excluding the SA coast and part of the Vic and WA coast, it is a true oceanic sea snake however, and unlike other sea snakes and Kraits isn't usually found in shallow waters, I expect in sub tropical waters they rely heavily on water tempuratures as to their movements. Other Sea Snakes and Kraits can be found around shallow reefs in tropical waters, Kraits tend to use the same areas to come ashore, and are easily found if you can find out where these places are.

They are gorgeous looking snakes..

Must have been quite rewarding to be able to not only

hold/photograph one but also to be able to release it :p

The lady who found it thought it was a "Yellow Bellied Black snake" and picked it up and took it home in a plastic bag, her husband (who apparently keeps a diamond python) thought it was a eel, but they found it's true identity with the help of google, so kept it in a bucket of fresh water with salt added (even though they live 100 meters from the beach), in which it lived for 24 hours before release.... but in the end it found it's way back into the ocean..
If anyone happens to find one on the beach, the best thing is to take it to your local boatramp or Marina, and find a willing soul that is going out to sea ( further out the better) that will take it out for you asap.

Great pictures JasonL,you dont generally see any pictures about sea snakes on here.Do you have any information regarding their size and the mating process etc with them.

Wow that is awesome so jealous :p hopefully i will see some when my uncle takes me diving :D Glad to see that it survived

Great pictures JasonL,you dont generally see any pictures about sea snakes on here.Do you have any information regarding their size and the mating process etc with them.

This species roughly gets to about 1 meter, the one pictured was ast. around 70cm, the amount of yellow can vary between populations world wide. Very little is known about sea snakes in general, esp this species, as it isn't often encountered other than washed up onto beaches, but they live their lives on the surface of the ocean, often around scum lines caused from currents meeting, floating around with debris feeding on the fish the debris and currents attract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back