Per lay shed question... Help appreciated

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampant

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just a question re pre lay shed ..... Only 3rd time I've bred pythons so still learning, anyway my question is re the pre lay shed, I no the female usually sheds a few weeks after mating occurs and then lays eggs about a month after or there abouts however my female shed 4 days after introducing the male and viewed mating the first night so will my female still have her pre lay shed? I'm doubting it so I'll just have to watch and monitor closely I'm guessing.
any help appreciated

just curious: does it matter when she sheds?

She should still have her pre-lay shed prior to laying (I guess that's why they call it a pre-lay shed lol!). Depending on species, the days between pre-lay shed and egg deposition vary somewhat, and also vary (usually a few days) in any event. As a rule of thumb, the pre lay shed will be around 21 days or so, but can vary a week either way.

The timing of the pre-lay shed is related to egg deposition, not mating.

Jamie

Cheers for the replies guys, there are an albino dawin pair, I knew that wouldn't be a pre lay but was just wondering if she would shed again in such a small amount of time! This is the first time this pair have been put together so have no prior info on them, I bought them as a pair but was told the male was a female and the female was a male I only found this out when I saw the apparent female using her spurs and trying to insert hemipenes lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back