perspex or glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia_man

Reaction score
i am building a snake enclosure in my wood work class and my teacher asked me why i don't use perspex instead of a glass front?? any reason why people dont use this??

cheers
charles

huh?...i found perspex to be half the price....could just be dubbo though, glass for my 5ft x3ftx2ft enclosers was gonna cost $130, perspex only cost me $62, only prob is it bends in the heat, thus can crack.....and yeah scratches are a pain

cheers
STP

I hav always used perspex on my tanks, mainly because i dont have a glass cutter. The only problems i hav with perspex is the scratches and the price. My opinion is that glass looks better in the end anyway.

Speaking from experience I have gained cleaning enclosures at the park, perspex is much harder to get finger prints and such things off :)

I use perspex on all mt cages, it is good for hinged doors, you just have to be careful drilling in the pilot holes for the screws as it cracks easily.
I have used it for silding doors( I wouldn't recommend this as perspex bends quite easy thus leaving gaps.
I only used perspex because I have a young child (Miss 3) and I didnt want glass used in case she smashed by banging on it.
I personnaly wont be using perspex again, even though it was cheaper than glass where I live as I had to get it frieghted to me, where as Perspex wa available from the local Hardware Store.
A sheet of Perspex 1200mm x 900mm x 4mm was about $45.00 I think glass was about double that plus frieght

As has mostly been said already;
Perspex Scratches Easily.
Perspex Bends With Heat.
Perspex Can Be Pushed Out By A Medium Sized Snake.
Perspex Binds In Sliding Tracks.
Perspex Is Harder To Clean.
WHEREAS GLASS;
Doesn't.
Doesn't.
Can't Be.
Doesn't.
Isn't.
Nuff Said?

Hi all, my 6ftx5ftx2.5ft enclosure has a very large veiwing window. subsequently heat leaches out alot costing alot in replacement bulbs. I'm wondering if I can cover the glass with some kind of clear glaze/ type stuff to cut down heat loss? ~Danno

If it's that big a viewing area the most effective way to insulate if you still want clear vision is to double glaze it. Not so aesthetic but just as effective is a removable polystyrene cover, you would of course have to remove it to view the snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back