Pet Shop should be shut down

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i google reptile store on ( roads name) and got its name just do that

yes I did that before but just making sure it is the right store in questions - would hate for people to go and abuse another one close by lol!

I have an idea! Y dont we all meet up in the shop on saturday and on one one,two,three...open/breake all the cages and run with the animals straight to RSPCA! (well if you grab something you like you might as well keep it!:) surely they cant stop the 100's of people that turn up, and if there are 12 year old minding the shops - what chance do they have hahaha (this is a joke)

No seriously - find out the shop name and post it on your facebook, twitter - I have ova 200 friends on mine and ask them to do the same! Surely someones mother, father, sister friend works for the RSPCA or council etc that will take interest......the women bra color status made international headlines so y not give it a try....... just an idea:)

the pet shop in question for those that are following has changed hands some short time back and has cleaned up its act greatly, I called through 3 weeks ago and could not believe the difference, I complained like many others and thought while I was back in the area I would have another look, its still not perfect but what pet shop is? all the lizzards now have UV lighting and dated for new replacements, animals now have doccumentation as to feeds shed ect and the fish are swimning not floating. Some of the birds are still cramped but 90% of them have been moved into better cages.
The new owners need praise for what they have done and people need to get out and have a look for them selves.
Cheers

This sort of thing is sickening! I hope they don't pass the proposal for reptiles in pet shops here in NSW. I can't believe this particular shop is in business still. There was a pet shop here in Sydney that was similar. All the bird cages were constantly filthy, they placed water bowls directly under perches and they looked like they never got cleaned. It's just not good enough.

i have worked out that they may have young staff for three reasons ?

first ) no adult would allow the business they work for operate and sell animals of poor health and sell animals of poor health ?

second ) an adult can be held legally responisable for the animals in thier care ? the owner can always shift blame onto its staff ?

third ) the chances of a prosecution against a minor would not proceed ? all charges would be dropped ?

Why doesnt everyone that lives locally to the store setup a roster of some sort to have one person visit the store on a random day each week...

Then, every time the visiting person sees animals in neglect, they write in to the RSPCA and the PIAA to make a formal complaint...

When the store gets cleaned up due to a RSPCA visit, you keep the roster going and when it falls to **** again, start making the written complaints again...

Its a lot of effort, but in the end it will likely be far more effective than anything else that could get you into a lot of trouble (such as taking photos on private property without the owners consent, or embarking on a harrassment campaign against the store)...

Zoltag that is an excellent idea
The RSPCA is a government organisation and as such it is expected that if someone is in breech of the law on keeping animals that they will be fined and if this is ongoing ultimately will be prevented from keeping animals. Therefore if the RSPCA fail in their duty of care to stop the cruelty in this shop I would think that it would be fair and reasonable to expect that you could take them to VCAT for breech of their responsibility. Watch them take notice if you threaten VCAT and a lodgement costs $40 for us...but for them it is solicitors etc....they wont want that !!

I am going to try and get out there this weekend and have a look and see if the shop has cleaned up its act as Justdriftnby says and see how things are
what a nightmare the new people must have bought...........
and yes if they ahve made a great improvement they should be praised
Elizabeth

I am going to try and get out there this weekend and have a look and see if the shop has cleaned up its act as Justdriftnby says and see how things are
what a nightmare the new people must have bought...........
and yes if they ahve made a great improvement they should be praised
Elizabeth

Nocturnalpulse who started this thread has been a big advocate in the fixing up of these problems and he PMed me a short while ago to tell me that there is new owners and its changing and I should go have a look for myself, now I moved out west where as I was rather close previously so I took the drive and had a look, as I said its not perfect (no pet shop ever will be) but its greatly improved.
I recomend people check it out, and priase the now owners for fixing a sunken ship of the business it was.

I just went out to the pet shop being discussed. Honestly...it is a pet shop...but there was no smell and I have to say the herps looked very settled. I dont know a lot about lizards but the snakes were really settled.....nobody was soaking in their water bowls everyone was sleeping and really settled. I was really impressed. The guy who works there was really helpful and nice.

I wont buy livestock from them because I really dont beleive in pet shops selling animals but i certainly would buy my supplies from them.

so its all good !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back