Pet Store on SPRINGVALE RD, VICTORIA! Urgent! Need your help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would not go near the RSPCA but approach the department directly. (In Victoria it is called the DSE this week.)

The RSPCA seem to have a view that herps should not be kept as pets and are just as likely to use the issue to grandstand and point out the evils of people being able to keep anything other than feathered and 4 legged furry things. (If you doubt what I am saying here have a look at the RSPCA's charter on their web site.)

These places are open for everyone to see.......how do they continue trading, why are they NOT prosecuted????
Where are the RSPCA...it is their responsibility to remove animals in danger!!!!!
I don't know how they sleep at night.....

I remember reading that the owner is a member of the DSE or something like that? Might be something you want to confirm before going to them for help. It would partly explain why they have been getting away with this for so long. There have been plenty of threads about this already and a number of people trying to do something without any luck. :?

I'd love to find out how the animals that customers DID buy off this revolting place are faring... Vet vhecks and such I would think would HAVE to happen.... Y havent THEY said something and shut them money grubbing a**holes down??? Comes down to really NOONE wanting the responsibility..... AGAIN.....

I remember reading that the owner is a member of the DSE or something like that

CORRUPTION CORRUPTION CORRUPTION !!!

I'm pretty sure that's the place Koubee. I didn't want to name the place as I can't remember what they are called. But I know the exact location of the place that is being referred to.

Got permission from me.. But I am on the west coast so I'm not sure how much help my comment will be as it's more of a general opinion

count me in odessa if our comments can help in getting this store investigated and saving those poor animals.

Almost all of the pet shops in Melbourne are extremely bad, and some of the worst ones are often praised on the forums (including this one) as being absolutely wonderful. The shop people are talking about in this thread is one of, if not the worst in Victoria, I've been visiting it for years and it has been just as bad the entire time. If animals are allowed to be treated as merchandise on the shelves, this is what you're going to see. I've seen dead animals in various stages of decay in at least half a dozen pet shops in Melbourne, and in total I've seen dozens, maybe hundreds of individual dead reptiles. Of course, for every reptile which is dead you see many more which are on their way to being dead, often beyond the point where they could be saved even with the best of care. Very few shops in Melbourne are free of wild-caught animals, some of them taken legally from NT, most taken illegally from around the country.

By all means report this shop, but don't get your hopes up about seeing quick results. Some of the shops in Melbourne have been prosecuted many times, usually for selling exotics or poaching, rarely for animal abuse (exotics seem to be a bigger concern to the authorities). They know that they're only going to be prosecuted once in a while even if they're breaking laws left right and center all the time, and when they do they get a little fine and carry on with business as usual. When running a pet shop the motives are almost always almost entirely financial, and this is the result. Some of the worse offenders in terms of poaching and dealing in exotics are very good at keeping anything 'bad' (sick or exotic animals etc) off display, but others like this one don't even go that far.

If enough people kick up a fuss about these places, they'll possibly be closed down, or at the very least put in an effort to keep the dodgy stuff out the back and clean up the dead animals a little more frequently than once a month!

I strongly suggest not getting television programmes such as Today Tonight involved as they have their own bad motives (they'll twist the facts to make whatever story will bring in the best ratings), and you could quite possibly end up with a story along the lines of "All reptile keepers are extremely bad, here is an example, we need to ban people from being able to keep them at all". Organisations such as the RSPCA would love to have reptile keeping by private individuals banned entirely, and such a story would give them a lot of ammunition against us.

Remember never, ever to buy a neglected animal to 'save' it, as you'll be funding these people who will then source more animals and neglect them, so you're just making the problem worse for more animals while making these criminals rich.

The reports here that the guy has links with DSE is totally false, the only link he has with the DSE is that he is a commercial trader, the person everyone is thinking of is the owner of another pet store in another suburb. According to DSE the store in question is visited regularily by them, every report is followed up on......but b people continuing to sell to pet stores, visit them and buy animals from them the pet stores will continue to trade in animals......

STOP visiting.....STOP supplying.....STOP buying and they will not have a reason to keep these animals!

If you post any pictures or vids about neglect....make sure you know they have broken regs....read them first....I think you will be unpleasantly suprised as they are within the regs!

Organise a rally....get people out front and make it difficult to get in......picket the place.....it sounds like there is a lot of support...you should have no problem organising a vocal group to protest in front of the place

Thanks herpheaven, yeah I wasn't sure but I just didn't want someone to go to all the effort to a source that was a dead end. Looks like it may be anyway.

im in melbourne tell me the place and ill go slap the guy who runs it !

I went to this store when I was looking for my beardies and I was totally disgusted by it and myself and my husband walked out straight away. I would be happy to help out to try to get this place closed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back