photo's of the devil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope Sax two hard to keep, most eat 5000 ants a day. and will not eat anything else.

I always wondered why you never hear of them being kept...however with all this rain bringing the ants inside I could probably manage too feed one ot two in my kitchen

No they are legal, well in NSW and QLD anyway. They are no more difficult to keep than a bandy bandy who eats blind snakes... but they are legal. You can buy them legally from Alice Springs Reptile park but they just have very very strict internal conditions that restrict who they sell them to.

looking on the deccw approved list i cant find any hint off these guys. so im guessing they cannot be kept in nsw

They can be, they just drop off the list if no one has them. If you called and stated you need a species code for them they'll provide it.

"And a random vid i just found of a rattlesnake head attacking without its body..."

YouTube - SNAKE ATTACK without body! Slow Motion!

I saw exactly the same thing when I was working in mineral exploration up here. I accidently ran over a big king brown and broke his back. He was going beserk with anger/pain and I decided to end it for him. The only thing handy was a mattock, so I chopped his head off.

The head, with 1 inch of neck was still lunging at me 30 seconds later :shock:

I flipped it into the bushes and left. The image haunted me for months.

Thanks for reminding me :|

They can be, they just drop off the list if no one has them. If you called and stated you need a species code for them they'll provide it.

cheers gillsy i never knew that.

Doing some research on them atm and seems they only eat 2 diff types of ants?i dont know how accurate this info is

Doing some research on them atm and seems they only eat 2 diff types of ants?i dont know how accurate this info is

That's about right. Sydney Wildlife World had to take there's off display because they weren't doing well. There were rumors they'd died but i think they were just that rumors.

Several institutions keep them including Alice Springs Desert Park and Melbourne Museum. There's also a few floating around in private collections, some have even come up for sale in the past few years.
Thorny devils aren't even hard to keep, the main issue is obviously the ants, but ant colonies are pretty easy to maintain once you have an established colony.

I'm not sure if this is correct, from my experience I know they will try to eat other species of ants but the limiting factor seems to be the size of their mouth - meaning they will go for larger ants but because the ant is too big, when their tongue retracts into the mouth the ant gets knocked off and runs away.

Last edited:
I saw that too that's why I asked. Maybe they were just on loan from a zoo or owned by a keeper with lots of time on their hands

i found out that they were from alice springs wildlife park and a guy had brought them from there just for the expo, luckily we got to enjoy them!

I wonder if they would eat green tree ants, living in tropical Q.L.D and being a gardener finding hundreds without looking is very common. :)

Does it have to be ants? They don't feed echidna's a gillion termites a day they feed them some protein/insect thing paste.

"And a random vid i just found of a rattlesnake head attacking without its body..."

YouTube - SNAKE ATTACK without body! Slow Motion!

I saw exactly the same thing when I was working in mineral exploration up here. I accidently ran over a big king brown and broke his back. He was going beserk with anger/pain and I decided to end it for him. The only thing handy was a mattock, so I chopped his head off.

The head, with 1 inch of neck was still lunging at me 30 seconds later :shock:

I flipped it into the bushes and left. The image haunted me for months.

Thanks for reminding me :|

HAha, someone actually tried to tell me if you cut off the head they can still kill until the sun sets.
By the way, love the Devil, by far my favourite lizard.

Last edited:
well i guess if your REALLY keen on having one you could always start a really big ant farm lol :D, dont they guys squirt bloody from there eyes when threatened?

well i guess if your REALLY keen on having one you could always start a really big ant farm lol :D, dont they guys squirt bloody from there eyes when threatened?

I'm thinking this is an old wives tale

I'm thinking this is an old wives tale

That's an american lizard, looks a bit like a beardy, but yes squirts blood from it's eyes. Cant think of the name (just finished a 800km drive) but it will come to me.

That's an american lizard, looks a bit like a beardy, but yes squirts blood from it's eyes. Cant think of the name (just finished a 800km drive) but it will come to me.

Oh I know what your talking about! I'm not sure if it's actually blood though, but feel free to prove me wrong. Why were you driving 800km?

Coast horned lizard (Phrynosoma coronatum) and yes it is blood.

I drove from Darwin to Ngukurr (west side of Gulf of Carpentaria) where I am training the Rangers in Conservation & Land Management.

My boss, formerly high up in the Conservation Commision up here, kept one for several months by using small amounts of chicken skin to bring in an endless supply of "pissants". She was so happy she laid 18 eggs which the Desert Park successfully hatched and still use in their displays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back