photo's of the devil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long drive. At least 4 species of Phrynosoma can squirt blood from their eyes.

Or if you really want one you can live in the NT/WA areas where they are found and have a fence with a wire bottom allowing ants to wonder through.

Coast horned lizard (Phrynosoma coronatum) and yes it is blood.

I drove from Darwin to Ngukurr (west side of Gulf of Carpentaria) where I am training the Rangers in Conservation & Land Management.

My boss, formerly high up in the Conservation Commision up here, kept one for several months by using small amounts of chicken skin to bring in an endless supply of "pissants". She was so happy she laid 18 eggs which the Desert Park successfully hatched and still use in their displays.

yeh thats the one (phrynosoma coronatum) got a bit confused with the spikes on it head.

Last edited:
I love the thorny devil. My fave Lizard, and is actually what got me started on reptiles and APS. After seeing them on a documentary, I ended up here looking for advice on keeping them, lols

I wonder if they would eat green tree ants, living in tropical Q.L.D and being a gardener finding hundreds without looking is very common. :)
Nope, as I mentioned earlier the limiting factor seems to be size, they'll go for meat ants but when the tongue retracts the ant is knocked off because it's too big.

Does it have to be ants? They don't feed echidna's a gillion termites a day they feed them some protein/insect thing paste.
I'd have to see it to believe it, they're very fussy and I doubt they'd voluntarily feed on a substitute.

could you feed them pinheads instead of ants? - still cost alot lol
Also tried this and they don't seem interested in pinheads. My theories are that it's either the the dark colour of the ants they go for, or otherwise the difference between the movements of pinheads vs crickets put's them off.
On a side note, once established ants are much cheaper, and easier to breed than crickets so it wouldn't be worth the hassle trying to wean them.

Last edited:
I'd have to see it to believe it, they're very fussy and I doubt they'd voluntarily feed on a substitute.

it's a funny substitute, they do it at most if not all zoos, very simple paste of I think from memory mince with fly pupae, plus other vitamins/minerals. they obviously try to substitute in termites every now and again for enrichment, but the paste makes up the majority of their diet.

As for Devils, I know a previous reptile keeper from Cairns Trop zoo and he says they had one up there for a while, it was his job to get it eating, it was a bit fussy initially but after a while of being placed on ant trails every day it eventually started eating, but ant size more than anything is the limiting factor, tiny mouths from what he told me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back