Pics of 3 fifferent types of mealworms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about pill bugs?

I often hear of people keeping pillbugs, the little terrestrial isopods, in with millipede colonies.
viaaf-albums-more-of-my-photos-picture8306-pill-bugs-aka-rolly-polly-woodlice-woodlouse-sowbugs-pillbugs-and-sowbugs-are-really-crustaceans-that-have-come-from-the-water-but-live-totally-on-land-pillbugs-roll-up-when-disturbed-and-sowbugs-have-two-taillike-appendages-and-cannot-roll-up-http-organicgardensite-com-bugs-harmful-pillbugs-and-sowbugs.jpg

They serve as scavengers and can be used as feeders.
viaaf-albums-more-of-my-photos-picture8305-pill-bugs-aka-rolly-polly-woodlice-woodlouse-sowbugs-pillbugs-and-sowbugs-are-really-crustaceans-that-have-come-from-the-water-but-live-totally-on-land-pillbugs-roll-up-when-disturbed-and-sowbugs-have-two-taillike-appendages-and-cannot-roll-up-http-organicgardensite-com-bugs-harmful-pillbugs-and-sowbugs.jpg

Since they are crusteceans they are supposed to be a very good calcium source. They are easy to culture and
would do well with roaches as long as you kept a damp spot for them.
viaaf-albums-more-of-my-photos-picture8304-pill-bugs-aka-rolly-polly-woodlice-woodlouse-sowbugs-pillbugs-and-sowbugs-are-really-crustaceans-that-have-come-from-the-water-but-live-totally-on-land-pillbugs-roll-up-when-disturbed-and-sowbugs-have-two-taillike-appendages-and-cannot-roll-up-http-organicgardensite-com-bugs-harmful-pillbugs-and-sowbugs.jpg

So does anyone know if cutting the head end off the worms would prevent any damage to the dragon?

yeah, cutting the heads off would prevent the possible possibility of them being able to eat their way out.

but wouldnt stop the chitin blocking them.

the superworms are high in fat, one of my dragons didnt bask after eating them (i went out and she went behind the tv cabinet) so she couldnt digest them, that cost about $320 at the vet getting her knocked out, xrayed and emptied....

not really all that worth it when roaches are just as yummy.

i dont use them much now, just feed off any that are freshly shed to whoever is really warm and basking, thats been fine so far.

i do worry about the big worms, i've seen heads crawling around hours after teh bodies have been eaten,....(one of the lizzies mustve dropped a head, it was disturbing,...)

I think hubby plans on breeding roaches anyway, but I heard mealworms were a nice treat. Maybe we could mash them up?!

as long as the beardies are warm they will digest them fine.

with babies, only offer freshly shed ones to avoid impaction probs.

they are a great treat!!

mealworms

Aside from smashing mealworms so that the exoskeleton is broken and they'll digest more easily I have seen it recommended to blanch them in boiling water, like you do almonds. That's pretty high up on my list of strange suggestions.
I've always found that zoophobus are more likely to be chewed, so seem to be digested more easily. I say this from having observed stools from lizards eating both tenebria and zoophobus.

LOL I can just imagine... I'm a very keen cook, I can picture me plating up a 'lightly blanched mealworm, with a side of finely sliced Asian Greens, garnished with organic mint" LOL

from what i've heard they taste like macadamia nuts, so that sounds like a dam fine meal! :)

the little mealworms in with my woodies... Can they turn into small beetles? And if so, how do I tell them apart from the tiny woodies?

Or is it ok if he eats these beetles too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back