Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Origamislice

Reaction score
it has come to my attention that the olive python subspecies; pilbaraolive python (or liasis olivaceus barroni) is illegal to keep in captivity and i don't know why.

i do know that they are listed as vulnerable but from what i've read they seem to be reasonably comman within their region. also i don't see what keeping them in captivity can do to damage the numbers.

i think that the goverment aught to start reconsidering the laws or someone just might break a particular one... :)

can any one give me a good reason why they shouldnt be kept?

from reading keeping and breeding pythons, i couldn't see a difference between the two?

lol yeah thats what i thought. i cant wait to handle an adult olive.

Tellem to stick it where it fits(and they take a real roos not just wallabies lol), they are the same species as other olive pythons and im not aware of any legislation that makes them illegal outside WA. They are Olive Pythons, there isnt legislation to ban the so called "pilbara sub species" in other states as far as i know. I have little doubt they are around, they are just olive pythons...

My understanding is that "vulnerable" is a state base classification. In all state but WA Baroni should be vulnerable as their are not meant to ne any. The same situation used to exist in NSW with Womas and the more restricted classification.

There is quite a few baroni floating around in the licence system in eastern Australia. All the ones I've seen have just been kept as Olive Pythons.

Tellem to stick it where it fits(and they take a real roos not just wallabies lol), they are the same species as other olive pythons and im not aware of any legislation that makes them illegal outside WA. They are Olive Pythons, there isnt legislation to ban the so called "pilbara sub species" in other states as far as i know. I have little doubt they are around, they are just olive pythons...

this is what i thought as well but there where some people on theis forum (i won't name names) that convinced me otherwise. now i don't know which one to trust... any one else who knowes about the laws?

6.5 meters :| ?

Yeah, they are possibly the biggest native snake in Australia. I was reading somewhere that they have found closely related animals that got to 10m, but that was before humans came here and wiped out the mega fauna.

The number of baroni in the wild dropped a hell of alot 3-4 years ago as most of you would have heard. If you go to the Pilbara region now you will find that their numbers have picked back up and they are pretty common in the right habitat.
I don’t see any problem about DEC allowing 1 or 2 people getting a permit to collect a number of them to start a breeding colony in captivity to keep the numbers up in case their numbers drop again in the wild.

Just like the Rough Scale Pythons, if DEC didn't grant the Australian Reptile Park a permit to collect 3-4 pairs of these pythons, in a couple of years they might be extinct in the wild and we would of lost them forever.

We are yet to get the list of Reptiles approved that WAHS put in of what we wanted to get added to the keepers list.
All I’m trying to say is, to me there will be a very low chance that DEC will grant someone a permit to collect a handful of baroni from the wild to keep as pets

I'm sure their around and I agree with Niall, that it would be fantastic for a few to breed them for the hobby! If only as you say to stop them from becoming threatened or endangered for the reason they are rare in captivity and being poached or whatever was the cause of the numbers declining.
I don't know a great deal about them, but would definitely like to find out more....Is there any good links to this specie that anyone knows of??
Cheers... a 6.5m gentle python....gotta love that! lol :D
The number of baroni in the wild dropped a hell of alot 3-4 years ago as most of you would have heard. If you go to the Pilbara region now you will find that their numbers have picked back up and they are pretty common in the right habitat.
I don’t see any problem about DEC allowing 1 or 2 people getting a permit to collect a number of them to start a breeding colony in captivity to keep the numbers up in case their numbers drop again in the wild.

Just like the Rough Scale Pythons, if DEC didn't grant the Australian Reptile Park a permit to collect 3-4 pairs of these pythons, in a couple of years they might be extinct in the wild and we would of lost them forever.

they should start getting them in captivity and let people start breeding so that if they are ever endangered there is always hope because of the strong captive bred population

They are in captivity in small but stable numbers. The 6.5 metre size is much like the 8 metre scrub python - purely anecdotal. I haven't heard of any reliable measurements over 4.5 metres.

They are in captivity in small but stable numbers. The 6.5 metre size is much like the 8 metre scrub python - purely anecdotal. I haven't heard of any reliable measurements over 4.5 metres.

Jonno do you know if these snakes are being kept on licence as just Liasis olivaceus when they are in fact Liasis olivaceus barroni or are they actually kept on licence as L. o. barroni?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back