Plase help, sick bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcneill

Reaction score
Please help me,
i just came home and found my 1year old Bredli almost completely limp.
He has been in his hide contiuasly for a week now and just came out today and seemed find, handled like normal but wouldnt eat, but tonight he seems very very sick and there is no vets open and i dont know what to do!
I dont think he is going to make the night to see a vet in the morning. His skin lookes very strange and his body is contorted

bredlis

hi sounds like he may have worms but maybe put him in a lil tiny bit of lue warm water to get some fluids in to him an get to a vet in the morning

Ok im trying that now, i have to hold his head out because he cant move

how long have you had the snake? what temperature is its enclosure? when did it last eat? have you treated it for mites or sprayed anything near it or its enclosure? it sounds strange that this has happend so quickly.

I have had him for 1 year, and he is 1 year and a few months old. His enclosure is 30-33 in the middle, he last ate 3 weeks ago and havent been able to make him eat since, Havent treated for mites or sprayed anything strange, so i have no idea why it happened unless it was because he hasnt eaten in a few weeks?

umm. 3 weeks without eating isnt anything to worry about. your temps are fine, as long as your sure the temp reading are right. if nothing has been sprayed near him or the enclosure thats good. when you handled him today, was he put on the floor or take outside and put on the ground? im asking these questions wondering if somehow hes been poisoned. sorry i know this must be distressing for you

I have never taken him out side, and he hasn't been anywhere apart from in my hands (which are clean). He is really not moving at all now. I thought it was strange he speant over a week hiding but sometimes he does that befor a shed but after he came out hes just getting worse and worse.

one other question. has your snake or anyone around it been in contact with anyother snakes?

hiding and not eating are normal behavour. what is strange is how quickly this illness has come on

No no one else handles him because he bites everyone, I had someone come and feed him while i was away for 1 month three weeks ago but that person doesnt have snakes and didnt handle him at all. One thing thought is a friend gave me some mice which i dont usually get food from this person and he said the mice died from a really cold week we had (in other words natural causes) and kenny ate them....Could that be bad?

Because we i checked his hide to see if he was ok a few days ago, he was really active (angry) so he didnt seem sick at all, and yesterday he seemed fine

the mice you were given sound really bad. i would never feed any of my snakes anything that had just died. though i dont think this is the cause of this problem. as he was fed 3 weeks ago and would of past that feed 4 or 5 days after being fed. that fact that he was ok a couple of days ago and still ok today when handled is the strange part. snakes are normally sick for along time and slowly get worse. im not going to jump the gun and start saying it couldbe an illness that isnt treatable. the fact that theres been no contact with other snakes makes this illness even less probable, even though it can in some cases take up to a year to show. have you checked the enclosure for a spider? is there an after hours number for any vet near you that you can call?

I rang the emergancy vet hospital but they had no staff that new anything about reptiles. Cleaned out the cage just now but didn't see anything. :( poor little thing is as limp and a piece of string

I just sent mcneill a PM suggesting she try and track down an after hours. Even if they can just give him fluids over night till she can get into see a herp vet in the morning. I really hope your snakey will be okay

They gave me a number of a reptile vet to call in the morning, there are no reptile vets open in melb at this time that i know of or can find on the net

I just sent you some...they're all 24hrs....especially try the bundoora one...ask if they can at least put him on fluids until you can get him into a vet in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back