please help shinglebacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper10

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
i live in queensland and it is going to get 8 9 degrees tonight i want to know is that ok has they live outside thank u any help will be great thank u and any advise on frillnecks would be good to as it lives outside

that's pretty cold. I have heard a lot of people bring their reps inside during winter.

Try setting up an outdoor heater. Shinglebacks shouldnt really be kept outside here on coastal QLD as the humidity can give them respiratory problems, so I hear.

it depends on what you have outside for them,..

people keeping lizardss outdoors tend to go to some effort in regards to covering things with a thick layer of hay, sheltered windproofed etc so the animals arent actually exposed to the full chill,....

if you havent prepared something along those lines for them i would bring them in for the winter.

Try setting up an outdoor heater. Shinglebacks shouldnt really be kept outside here on coastal QLD as the humidity can give them respiratory problems, so I hear.

I would imagine so...

hell when I go from SA to QLD I wanna die from the humidity! I can bet a lizard wouldn't be too happy :p

EDIT: they have them outside at Aus Zoo though

My Shinglebacks aren't heated at night, temp is in single figures here in Melb most nights now and they are fine.

We keep all our larger skinks in outdoor pits, At this time of year the pits should of been packed densley with straw to a depth of at least 12 inches.
Now provided these animals have been kept outdoors from spring and provision has been made for the winter temps etc they should be fine.

What part of Brisbane do you live at?
Different parts of Brisbane have different temps, Brisbane may drop to 8 degrees, but where I live it dropped to 6. I have 2 pits outside, 1 for my skinks and 1 for my frillies, both pits have underground hides, packed up with straw, and mine survived last winter pretty well, maybe look at doing something like that.

With Shinglebacks my advice is to leave them inside, they are prone to respiratory infections. I built a daytime pit for my shinglebacks and after a couple of days they started sneezing, so I don't put them outside now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back