Please ID this gecko.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharskie

Reaction score
27062011398.jpg
can someone please ID this gecko for me. i am in central western NSW (Orange infact). this fella was found clinging to the back of the hot water heater that was replaced today. i was under the impression we didnt have any native geckos here due to the cold weather. Obviously im wrong. I have absolutly NO knowledge when it comes to geckos. I have done a small search and gander over pictures of geckos but havent found anything im happy to say is a positive match. Please dont bombard me with with your personal oppinions of asian house geckos if it is infact, just that.

Definitely not an Asian House. Cannot positive between Gehyra variegata or Christinus marmoratus from this pic but would be swinging stronger to the Gehyra option.

Ok revise that I am now tentatively swinging to the Christinus side. :p

Last edited:
ok thanks heaps. how can you tell its a female?

yep female christinus marmoratus
can tell its female by the calcium deposits on its neck

Gehyra variegata as an equally likely candidate. As GeckPhotographer mentioned, it's hard to be sure judging from the pic provided though.
Can you post a better focused photo and/or ideally a close-up of the toes? Otherwise, can you tell us if it has clawed digits or not?

Last edited:
View attachment 206960
Dose this pic help at all? Is there any reason for the inflamed lumps on the side of the neck?

ah calcium deposits???
This species stores calcium in deposits on either side of their neck.
They need this extra store as they are one of species of Aussie geckos that lay hard-shelled eggs (most Aussie geckos lay soft-shelled eggs)

It's christinus. The tail is too big for a gehyra and the toes seem to gradually widen out unlike a gehyra that has neat little discs.

View attachment 206924
can someone please ID this gecko for me. i am in central western NSW (Orange infact). this fella was found clinging to the back of the hot water heater that was replaced today. i was under the impression we didnt have any native geckos here due to the cold weather. Obviously im wrong. I have absolutly NO knowledge when it comes to geckos. I have done a small search and gander over pictures of geckos but havent found anything im happy to say is a positive match. Please dont bombard me with with your personal oppinions of asian house geckos if it is infact, just that.

That's a pretty one compared to what we get around our house here (in Blayney), we get ones that look like marbled geckos but i think they are actually Oedura lesueurii that we get. Nice find/save by the way :) Just thought i would let you know that yes we do get them out here, i think ours hide in the roof over winter and brumate. They have also bred :) I may add a pic here to find out what the ones we get here are if that's ok?

Baby Gecko.jpg

This is a baby i found inside on the floor, i almost trod on it before carefully letting it climb on my hand and putting it back outside. The parents/adults look the same but are huge compared to this. Sorry for butting in but i wanted to show you the ones we get here (30 mins away from you) and also ask if anyone can ID this one please?

Last edited:
Gehra Varigata, My outlaws live in Ardlethan and all the way through from the Blue Mountains, Blayney, Cowra, Young, Temora and finally Ardlethan we have found these guys. We sit in the fernery and watch them at night, racing up and down the shade cloth. :)

Em1986, that baby one looks like a Christinus marmoratus to me, the tail is a dead give away when seen from above (for me). Really long and with almost stripe like patterns that in some individuals form light yellow dashes down the middle of the tail.

As Nephrurus stated the tail is too long for G.variegata

This is a picture of a G.variegata for comparison
100_2658.jpg

As Nephrurus stated the tail is too long for G.variegata

This is a picture of a G.variegata for comparison
100_2658.jpg

The ones we get also don't have clawed feet, thanks for the comparrison pic :)

Em1986, that baby one looks like a Christinus marmoratus to me, the tail is a dead give away when seen from above (for me). Really long and with almost stripe like patterns that in some individuals form light yellow dashes down the middle of the tail.

Sometimes the parents/adults have what looks like yellow markings on them, thanks heaps.

Again sorry for butting in but i thought i would show what the ones here look like :)

The ones we get also don't have clawed feet, thanks for the comparrison pic :)

Sometimes the parents/adults have what looks like yellow markings on them, thanks heaps.

Again sorry for butting in but i thought i would show what the ones here look like :)

Christinus marmoratus are known for having yellow/orange markings.

heres some examples of some with and without the yellow/orange markings on their tails,
most specimens have them, but some dont

Attachments

• SDC17589.jpg
    SDC17589.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 55
  • SDC18292.JPG
    SDC18292.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 58
  • SDC17261.JPG
    SDC17261.JPG
    596.1 KB · Views: 55
I find those geckos all the time around my house and area(Cowra), but i am having the same dilemma with I.D them for years, me and my friends just call them bark geckos lol :D

Thanks heaps for the pics Richoman, they look like the first pic but don't have such darl markings. Our house is a cream type of colour on the outside so i think they blend in with it and that may be why.
They also have a translucent underside, i have seen them on the glass windows from inside and have photos somewhere :)

Thanks Goldmember :)

thanks heaps guys. i have been told by the house owner that they this female has been here for years. i think i will make a small rock garden for them outside (if there are any others that is). But due to our jack russle inside the house and amstaff outside, i have chosen to set up a large enough tank to keep him in and keep him safe and well fed. Do the calcium deposits mean she may be ready to lay or be infact carting around eggs?

sorry "keep HER in".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back