please read i need advice :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
really need help please.
my 'male' stumpy is attacking my new 'female'
he is being really vicious, runs up, opens his mouth and latches on. one stage it looked like he was going to roll the other one he had such a tight grip on her. im unsure what to do.
ii was told that he was a he and she is a she but now I don't know coz I don't know y he would hate her so much if there were opposite sex.
please give me any hints, advice as to y this is happening and what I can do
the below link is what I posted b4 of there bums for possible sexing.
thankyou everyone....im a worried mum atm :(
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-lizards-5383/sex-please-135966

Georgie - seperate them. Easy fix - then they'll stop fighting. atleast then you won't have to worry about damage.
I'm not completely sure why you've written this thread. You already had the other one. Anyway, do the logical thing - seperate them.

Georgie - seperate them. Easy fix - then they'll stop fighting. atleast then you won't have to worry about damage.
I'm not completely sure why you've written this thread. You already had the other one. Anyway, do the logical thing - seperate them.

i wrote this thread even though i have the other one due to the fact that there was no advice offered. thankyou, i will do the logical thing. i wish i was as experinced as you then i would have thought to do the logical thing to begin with....

but if anyone else has any advice as to WHY they might be fighting that would be appreciated

thats what im thinking fay... but there bums do not look like 2 boys. in saying that, i know bums are not the only way to tell ( tails)

Hey

I had the same issue too! I had to males together and they were fine. Then i brought to females and put them all in together and one of my males just kept attacking one of the females.

I had to separate him from the other 3.

Maybe its a dominance thing cause in my case the female was bigger than the male.

But that is just a suggestion.....

Hope things work out....

thanks britty, appreciate your advice :)

Are you sure its aggression and not trying to mate?
I really have no idea (not a skink/lizard/dragon person) but I thought they would latch on during mating.

Your male has been in the enclosure long enough to consider it his territory and is defending it...fairly usual captive shingle behaviour. It can be quite tough to sex them without getting them probed, as the tail/head shape test is not 100% accurate. Best thing to do would be to divide the enclosure with a sheet of perspex if possible, with a few low holes to allow them to smell each other. Leave this for about a week, take it out and see how they go. But keep the perspex handy as you may have to seperate for another week, as long as it takes them to figure out they're the same species- stumpy's aren't know for their brain power..

just did a quick google search and I found a few sites that said that this behaviour in shinglebacks was part of courtship. Don't know much about these lizards and i just did a quick scan of my reptile books and couldn't find anything... david attenbrough does a bit on them in life in cold blood andhe doesn't say anything about aggressive courtship, but he does say that they are monogamous - mating with the same partner for up to 20 years, if he's had another partner or does not deem her a suitable partner he might not be wanting her longterm.... also, in nature, they are only together for 2 months out of twelve, so mabey it's just unnatural to have them so close for an extended period.... once again, i'm not a shigle back person, but i hope this helps... good luck with it :)

thanks heaps guys, appreciate your help and tips!!!
i have divided the enclosure and fingers crossed this will make a difference as they are about to go to " sleep"
thanks again :)

hey kim, i have
at the bottom of my first is a link :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back