Pond for turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a plank of timber angled from the bottom of the pond to the edge. You might need a rock on it at the bottom. It gives them a place to hide as well as access out of the pond.
Allan

We have some old planks of cedar which create the entrance/egress from the pond. It is hooked over the edge but just floats partially submerged at the water end giving them something to hide under as well as use to climb in and out on.

Would green logs be a big no no for them
There is bushland near where I live that has limbs cut that are a good size

So what they affect the water enough to harm the turts or discolour the water a great deal.

any help on the green logs with turts would be good because my fish didn't like them

Will take some at lunch time if I have time otherwise I will take some tonight

Great stuff, it's always satisfying to finish off a new pond and see the turtles swimming happily around. Would love to see pictures.
Allan
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com/

Not to derail the thread, but Turtle town is one of the best looking setups i've ever seen. Will definitely keep an eye on it when I plan to venture into the backyard turtle pond world.

Fantastic!

This post is Awesome, i have just had an addition to my family, who is a turtle named Wally. He likes to hide so i can say "where's Wally". I am also in the process of building a pond and there is a few things i would like help with. Firstly, the little guy isn't really eating but the pet shop owner said it may be because he isn't very comfortable in his temporary home. Secondly, Do i need to get a pump? and also wondering about if i need a cover over the pond, i am in newcastle and the only stray things around here are cat, but i have a cat and she doesn't worry him. Thirdly do i need to get anything to keep it warm in there?? i think about the fact that they live on dams most of the time and in the cold....someone help me please.

Last edited:
Hi MandaMoo
it is true that a turtle in a new environment may want to hide and not eat for a few days due to the stress, this is normal, nothing to worry about.
Re pumps, yes you do need one, it would be difficult to create a little ecosystem such that everything is balanced and no need for a pump AND filter.
Re cover for a pond, you may need shadecloth if there is too much sun, otherwise a scarecrow won't hurt if you are worried about cats.
Re pond heating, NOT recommended. Assuming it is a species of turtle that naturally lives in the Newcastle area, it will be quite ok in your pond, however I would start acclimatising him straight away as it is getting cooler now, and he will want to hibernate. Get him in the pond as soon as you can, before it gets too cold that it would be a shock to his system. Have an area where he can hibernate on land if he wants to.
As Tatelina says in another post, do plenty of research and ask questions.
Good luck
Allan
http://turtletownsydney.tripod.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back