Pool Rescue - What kind of dragon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GSMenardi

Reaction score
Usually at least once a week I rescue a skink or dragon from the pool. I thought I'd share the pics because he's such a tiny little guy (I've never rescued or seen such a young dragon before). I sat out in the sun with him for a few minutes, and he was happy enough to sit on my hand on pose for me while he warmed up.

DSC01030.jpgDSC01034.jpgDSC01032.jpgDSC01031.jpgDSC01033.jpg

What sort of dragon is he? His relatives all around in the garden, they're the sort that have a white stripe down both sides of their bodies.
pencil.png

Baby water dragon? Im not too sure, but your very lucky to get that wildlife in your backyard. :) Where abouts do ya live? Down here in vic all i can find are stumpys blues, the odd marbled gecko and garden skinks lol

i think its a northern water dragon or a gilbert's dragon.
Good on ya for rescuing them. THanks for sharing.

Thanks for that, I had a look at photos of water dragons and gilbert's dragons, and he's a little baby gilbert's dragon :D I check the pool everytime I walk past, I don't want any of the little fellas to drown!

I live in Darwin, our house backs onto some scrub land so skinks, geckos and dragons are the norm for us, and the occasional monitor and frill neck visit as well. I haven't seen many snakes about though, the most recent one I only saw the tail which was a solid colour of pale yellowish white, I have no idea what it was though. :(

I'd say what you have there is 4-5 week old Lophognathus temporalis common name Swampland dragon or Northern Water dragon. I have a large colony of these in my collection and bred them several times earlier this year and the animal you are holding is identical to the ones I bred.

It is very difficult to say with any certainty however. My advice would be go and see Gavin Bedford at Crocosaurus Cove and ask him what he thinks it is.

Well I was pretty sure it's a Gilbert's dragon, but after looking at pics of the northern water dragon I don't know anymore, they look identical to me! I'm happy enough knowing it's one or the other that's thriving in the garden :) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back