poor chubby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris

I hope Chubba gets better. Can I ask what kind of work you do that lets you keep a real live lizard on yor desk? You must have a cool boss.

i'm a photoshop retoucher, works pretty cool, one of the guys brings his massive puppy in too so little chubbys really lame compared to that! :). :)

errr good they have ACCESS to calcium....but you may want to be a little more proactive in her actually receiving the calcium....just a thought.....
My neice and nephew have access to broccolli but they dont touch the stuff either .....

yes it is airconditioned, shes on a heat baggy covered with about 5 layers of towel,..only her eyes are poking out, so she wont catch a chill.

The vet has already said its not calcium related, i give her a bean dunked in calcium once a month, the rest of the time she has a pile of calcium on teh basking rock and all the dragons eat it as they feel teh need, i dont dust anyones food.

Grimbeny, ofcourse the dragons have access to heat, but Chub goes digging in the cool end after 20 mis of basking and if no one puts her back on the basking area that'll be it fro the day. So since no ones home she'd be cold as ice by the time i got home.

If you have been given a non-diagnosis how can anyone rule out husbandry issues. Just from the info you have given here i can out a couple of issues that I would say may be contributing to Chubbys problems have arisen. No supplements and being taken from its own habitat to your place of work. Not in a heat regulated environment. Not only is it illegal....(read your licencing conditions), you are neglecting to keep a sick beardie in a stress free temp controlled environment. I would suggest that you get a basic beardie husbandry book and read it. I am not having a go just looking out for the welfare of the animal. We all had to start somewhere.. Make sure that you put at least a calcium supplement on its food and keep it in the right temperature. After being sick its defences will be down so will open it up to infections including RI if your not extreemly careful.
What temp is your cool end?????

Good luck

The vet has already said its not calcium related, i give her a bean dunked in calcium once a month, the rest of the time she has a pile of calcium on teh basking rock and all the dragons eat it as they feel teh need, i dont dust anyones food.

erm....so what you're saying is....you need to start actually physically giving chubba calcium....;)

Chub goes digging in the cool end after 20 mis of basking and if no one puts her back on the basking area that'll be it fro the day. So since no ones home she'd be cold as ice by the time i got home.

So even when kept in a tank, she won't actively bask on her own?

Yep Miss B, Shes never been a big basker,..20 mins and she goes cruising.
then again, every once in a while she'll bask all day,..but its rare.

Fredbear, i've brought her in yesterday and today, the mucus started on sunday night,..so i dont think its related to taking her to work....keeping her @ teh right temp is the reason shes here. Being here wont stress her, shes been handled and out way too much to be worried about that.

the thing is, shes active, alert and hungry (but i cant feed her)...if i didnt baby her so much i wouldnt even have noticed the mucus, her beard isnt dark or anything.

yeah, i'll start giving her calcium weekly or something, (once i cant feed ehr again) i guess it cant hurt.

Unfortunatly i think i see the problem. The poor little beardy has been anthropomorphised to death...

Chris1 said:
Yep Miss B, Shes never been a big basker,..20 mins and she goes cruising.

If she doesn't bask much, is it possible she's having trouble digesting food due to the lack of heat?

It might explain why the super worms were stuck and undigested.

I think you're killing your beardie with love.....no offence but wow, you keep it in a sauna all day and then take it home to "calcium if it wants" and a basking spot on a window sill that would in no way be reaching the kind of temps it needs to digest properly.
I think it's time to set up Chubba with a proper enclosure, a hot spot, a cool spot, dust her food and make sure she has UV...

Good luck...hope she picks up soon.
Just stop swaddling her with towels...she's a beardie not a puppy

Unfortunatly i think i see the problem. The poor little beardy has been anthropomorphised to death...

lol. It seems some people do forget that these are not domestic animals like cats or dogs, these are wild animals that you survive prefectly fine out in the bush, no need to baby them.

haha, lucky otherwise i probably wouldnt have noticed something wrong! :)

She does have a proper basking spot, and her temps are perfect too, the others use it, she doesnt.

anyway, shes looking perfect today, i called David with an update before and were thinking it was probably an upset tummy, cos the previous days roaches were gone when he emptied her tummy and there was just superworm bits remaining.

She'll finish her antibiotics anyway incase she did get fluid into her lungs.

I explained the whole setup to him, the fact that the doors are open and they have free run of the house, teh daily baths etc , the sleeping on heat bags to make sure everythings digested and to combat chubs lack of heat from not basking, the good diet and sunlight instead of supplements and artificial light and he said that was all perfectly fine.
No offence to anyone but i'm more likely to take teh opinion of one of the better respected reptile vets over people who have a problem with me cuddling my lizards. :)

thanks for your concern.

you asked for advice and we gave it to you. If what experienced herpers have to say doesnt agree with your views then why ask ....................I dont see the point of asking for advice then completely ignoring it.......

Chris1 - I don't think you give her enough credit - she is a Bearded Dragon and is MUCH better at being a reptile than you are...if she decides she wants to be cool, let her be cool - SHE knows how to regulate her temperature much better than you ever will...

...I have no major issues with you keeping the doors open to the inclusion from a heating perspective - provided she can access the hot spot in the enclosure she should be fine...what I do think is an issue is the current system you have taking her to work where she is wrapped in a hot roll of blankets all day...how does she regulate her body temperature...?

FredBear, i asked if anyone had experience with the swallowing thing, nones offered any stories of their experience with that.

i dont need help with the setup, i went thru everything with the vet, he said everythings perfect.

All i'm getting 'help' with is how to not pamper my baby.

Aslan, i put the tank on teh ground so they can all come and go as they please, they have access to heat all day long, no probs gettting back onto the hot spot. :)

The vet said that it was fine to bring her in (to work),...my other option would have been putting her in a small tank without a cool end,..and i'm not comfortable doing that, @ least here she can move off her heat bag if she wants, and i can keep an eye on her.

the heat is cos shes on antibiotics,...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back