Portrait Style Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The metal flyscreen sounds like a good idea

don't moose if your snakie wan't to get up there she'll rub her nose to bits trying to get up there. stay with the wire less chance of it happening.

swampie said:
In my experience i have found bird wire to be more abrasive than flyscreen.
With my last one I soaked it in boiling water. This one I'll probably stuff in a bag and hit it with a good blast of TOD then let it sit there for a day. I'll then have to air it for awhile I guess.

TOD?? huh what english please

wow looks great! not sure if you mentioned this already but what kind of snake do you have? and if you have plans for a second one, would you get the same species?

Suj said:
wow looks great! not sure if you mentioned this already but what kind of snake do you have? and if you have plans for a second one, would you get the same species?

I have a young female Darwin (approx 4ft long). Your second question is a good one :lol: I have no idea! :lol: I think it'll be something I'll have to ask someone, either on here, or a friend of mine, what my choices could be. I'm presuming females of different species don't get into combatting like the males do at certain times of the year (I don't know)????? I might just buy an unrelated male Darwin next year and have a pair :lol:

Anyway, I painted the enclosure on Saturday (it's a light stoney looking colour), & then went branch hunting at my local park on Sunday :lol: I cut the branch down and I've just roughed it in temporarily just to see how it all fits in. Stuffed a little bit of BC in th bottom to get a little feel of how it'll look and threw in a cool looking hide I found in the corner :wink: I'm getting more fake leaves to really bush it up during the week as I could only find a few yesterday :lol:

I'll keep them piccies coming :wink: :lol:

roughingIn.JPG

Why don't you try some eucalyptus mulch moosey..............instead of bc.............we have changed over all but one of our enclosures to the mulch and the reps love it.................and we havent had any problems............and it would make the enclosure more natural looking (if that is what you are going for)..........

love the work hun

Caz

Miss_Magickal said:
Why don't you try some eucalyptus mulch

That sounds very interesting Caz. Where do you buy that from? And also, just out of curiousity, wouldn't it have a fairly heavy smell about it in an enclosed area?

I'd certainly prefer something more natural looking to be honest - Breeders Choice just looks like.....ummm....well......Breeders Choice :lol: The only thing going for it, is that it looks better than boring old newspaper IMO, and I do find it easier to clean. Even though having just the 1 snake means there is no effort involved cleaning anyway :lol:

We got ours from our local bunnings hardware store...............it doesnt have much of a smell t all...............the name of it is Forest Gold Eucalyptus mulch..........and it is in the gardening area..............comes in huge bags...............and it looks so much better than bc..............god i hate bc..............

Caz

Ahhh Bunnings :lol: :D Okay, thanks for that Caz! I'll have a look into it. I'm guessing it would also help with maintaining my humidity levels, instead of having the life sucked out of them because of the Breeders Choice (just a personal observation). Newspaper seems to okay because it seems to not be overly absorbent, but certainly holds no ascetical appeal for me :lol: I guess the only thing I suppose I'd have to watch is when I'm feeding the snake, that she doesn't ingest any of it.

get me some trees please moose they look great and i love that hide. better than my black plastic boxes.

I tried the eucalyptus mulch with my diamond moose. He didn't like it at all...refused to make contact with it in anyway and he also got a bit wheezy as it is quite dusty. I'm sure all snakes will react differently but I got the sense he wasn't happy with it at all.

It looked great but I'm back to newspapaer now and he is much happier. :D

Moosenoose, why not try artificial turf, have two pieces cut to size so you can wash one and put on the line, tthrow a couple of gum leaves around if you want it a bit more natural looking. It would look like a park.
Just a thouhgt.
Tourett.

Hey Moose - just out of curiosity, I have the following Qs:
* How much has it cost you to make
* Where did you get you materials from
* Did you knock it all together yourself??
Other than that - it's awasome!! Well done!! I hope mine turn out even a tiny bit as good!! :)

i now understand how good a cage can look when bunnings doesn't cut your wood. :)

Looking good moosey, you need to get another snake!! Seems the one gives you too much time on your hands!! :) :) :)

soulweaver said:
Looking good moosey, you need to get another snake!! Seems the one gives you too much time on your hands!! :) :) :)

Yeah I think you might be right on both fronts Soul :lol:

beknluke said:
Hey Moose - just out of curiosity, I have the following Qs:
* How much has it cost you to make
* Where did you get you materials from
* Did you knock it all together yourself??

So far it's cost me about $130, which sounds cheap in a way, but that is mainly because I bought 2 sheets of 16mm MDF off a mate of mine I used to work for for $47 a sheet which is very cheap (they buy for trade work by the pallet load)

The paint I already had, and the electrics so far have been an increased incentive by someone else who already has bought my old enclosure to hurry up :lol:

I did build it, but at a place I used to work at since I have no shed in the backyard anymore :( ...not to mention tools anymore either! Fixing gun was the best thing to use as well as MDF wood glue (which I believe is non toxic also)

The wood was free also :lol: the leaves are also fakes - drilled and contruction adhered into place. I bought them from my local $2 Shop. I got 3 for $6 and have oodles left over - I reckon its the way to go for fake leaves and stuff to be honest :wink:

tourett said:
Moosenoose, why not try artificial turf, have two pieces cut to size so you can wash one and put on the line, tthrow a couple of gum leaves around if you want it a bit more natural looking. It would look like a park.

I think I'll definately give it a go Tourer! Sounds like an easy option - I'm wondering if it'd come in a darker green?

Gregory said:
soulweaver said:
you need to get another snake!!

Ya may as well have said 'Fly to the Moon Moose" or "Go climb Everest Moose" or "Go get another Tatt Moose" ......ya know it just aint gonna happen. Not in Mrs Moose's lifetime anyway.

You may be right!
I may be crazzzzy!
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
:lol: :twisted:

I feeling daring this year :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back