posts mooved from comp topic.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrasse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I freak, I panic and think my snake is going to starve. I fly to the internet to post here and ask the advice of all those smart people in the know, as I sit, shaking in my chair, waiting for my snake to heave it's last gasp.

I totallay agree with wrasse, have a good panic and then ask everyones advice totally ignore it and repeat the process 2 weeks later.

Then in 6 months time i'll post to a thread like this one and tell everyone how it's done even though my snake isn't feeding. :lol: :roll:

Hatchling coastal not feeding for three weeks i agree with westaussie go and have a beer.

Anything more than that is a bit OBSESSMUCH!

JandC_Reptiles said:
COMPLETE ANSWER?

CHECK ENCLOSURE DETAILS:
Use smallish click clack type enclosure with a hide as the snake will feel more secure. Check temp & gradient making sure these are at correct levels. Darken sides of enclosure so the snake feels confined/secure. Place in a room that is low in traffic/noise/light etc

CHECK WITH BREEDER:
Most important, ask if it has previously fed & what on. Live/fresh/frozen thawed? etc. Ask for a chart if the breeder has kept 1.

TRY DIFFERENT METHODS:
Such as placing food item in the hide, under a perch while snake is hanging, on a coil while snake is on floor, teasing, feeding just a tail etc

PHOTOPERIOD:
Check that the light emmitting the enclosure is not excessive (15hrs maximum IMO)

CONTINUE?

HANDLING:
Avoid handling & give the snake a chance to settle into its new enviornment. At 3 weeks it should still be in quaruntine for another week or so anyway. I would wait till it was quaruntined & feeding before handling.

SCENTING:
Brain a pinkie, commercial scents, broth, etc

ASK FOR ADVICE:
Internet forum such as this, A veterinary, A fellow herper/herpers etc

NOW THE DONTS:
Dont scent with skinks, dont feed skinks, dont leave un-eaten food in the enclosure, dont continuously try but give it 4-7 days inbetween. Dont tortue the snake by hitting/scaring it with food. Dont force feed, dont use live food un-attended (if using live make sure they are your own stock that is worm/parasite free)

The correct answer imo would be do not panic, make sure husbandry details are adequate (caging,temps,photoperiod,hide,perch), contact the breeder you purchased it from & ask him/her more about the snake in question. Continue trying to feed the appropriate food items at weekly intervals. Avoid handling etc,. Ask many people for advice if you dont know...

So which one are you going with answer 1, 2 or 3? :)

OBSESSMUCH, I like this word, may I use it?

Pick 3, Pick 3! It covers everything you already said and everyone elses points too. :)

Just a note...

I think the answers should be pm'd to you first slatey, and then posted once the question is closed...

People are already just copying eachother and its going to keep happening, defeating the purpose of a competition...

Its like doing your HSC exams together as a group....

Just a thought!

I'm just giving my opinion, but I'm not going to win because I'm not prepared to resd through 81 post to find out about this competion

My loss

Ooooooooops should have read the whole thread before I posted the above!

Hehe i guess I agree with you Mr Bredli!

PS - I think this could be a very good thread for reference in the future.....!!!

HERE WE GO

Question/task 1

You just get new coastal hatchling it is 3 weeks since you put snake to your new enclosure and snake is not eating.
How do you react to this situation?

Offer it a mouse.

Do exactly as the breeder told you to do in the first place.

A. Using a long hook and a pair of welding gloves, pick up your snake and study its ventral surface (belly) If you see "made in taiwon" gently return your snake to its cage.
You have purchased a hybrid "toys-r-usii x rubberensis". Theses snakes are notorious non eaters, and very rarely active.
Myself owned one of these which went 9 years without eating, before it "perished'.
Do NOT provide Uv for your new snake, as this will surely cause it to perish quickly.
If you are not happy with your non eating, non moving Rubberensis hybrid. Carefull place it in a small box with a clear plastic front, and return it to the 'breeder'.
If on the other hand, your snake does not have "made in taiwan' etc printed on its belly, you may be
sure you have purchased the real deal.
In this case, dont be alarmed, follow the advice of the umpteen identical post before this and you wont go far wrong!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back