Pregnant red belly?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTar

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell if a red belly black snake is pregnant from a distance? I saw one not far from my place today (I live near the bush) and its back end was larger by a fair bit than its front end, would it have been pregnant or would there have been something wrong with it? Didn't look like it was from a belly full of food.

Just interested.

Wow not a single person out of the 147 who have looked at this want to even take a stab?

Without actually seeing it it is not easy to make a correct call on this one

Depends where you are to, we found 4 red bellies a couple of weeks ago out in the Lockyer Valley, even after picking them up they looked like gravid females but turned out to be very very fat males.

Is it possible to tell if a red belly black snake is pregnant from a distance? I saw one not far from my place today (I live near the bush) and its back end was larger by a fair bit than its front end, would it have been pregnant or would there have been something wrong with it? Didn't look like it was from a belly full of food.

Just interested.
Where are you located? Here in SE QLD we had a wet warm summer last year which has resulted in a bumper crop of frogs and a Lot of RBBS in very good condition as shown in the photo above.

Attachments

• DSC_7345.jpg
    DSC_7345.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 128
I'm in Nowra NSW (South Coast) the snake wasn't thick all the way down just at the back end which is why I thought it may be pregnant.

There have been some stunning RBBs this spring, heaps of food so they are looking plump. Unfortunately the ones on the railway line out the back here are looking worse for wear. I guess the line work over the year has caused problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back