Primary school teachers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it good for a year 3 teacher to experiment with hard illegal drugs?

• Yes its an idviduals choice what illegal drugs they choose to use

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Primary school teachers shouldnt use hard drugs and should be setting a good example

Votes: 83 66.9%
  • who cares

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • using recreational drugs isnt a criminal offence, just litghten up

Votes: 11 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teachers are expected to follow a different set of guidelines to others in the community. Its about how the present themselves not just within working hours but outside those times too. Also people talk so reguardless of how much the school tries to hush it up, it can still affect the classroom. As an example of those duble standards - I have only just finished school and at the end of last year some people in our grade were keen to invite a couple of teaches out to a party we were having at the end of our exams. The teachers could not come because even though those involoved were all 18 and finished exams we were technically still their students and it would be inappropriate. Seems silly but thats the way it is. Teachers have double standards. Its like a cop who is doing X in his time off and then arresting people for doing it when he/she is on duty. These people are supposed to be pillars of society

Serpant lady ...."Teachers are expected to follow a different set of guidelines to others in the community. Its about how the present themselves not just within working hours but outside those times too....."
Says who ?????
Teachers are just normal people ...

If I was aware of this I would be requiring be it Primary or secondary school a drug screen done,
They have a duty of care and even if they the drug user thinks it has no effect they do therefore it impairs your judgement.

Anyone in care of children of any age should be drug free
Report her

Serpant lady ...."Teachers are expected to follow a different set of guidelines to others in the community. Its about how the present themselves not just within working hours but outside those times too....."
Says who ?????
Teachers are just normal people ...

Are you calling me normal dickyknee?

I wouldn't give a rats.......esp if it is not affecting my life in any way, shape of form!!

most recreational drugs are no more damaging than legal ones...

i see no one outraged over a teacher smoking, or parents for that matter.... and your children are much more likely to, for starters SEE the teacher smoking, and more likley to smoke themselves.

if the teacher takes recreational drugs, and it doesn't affect their work preformances, so what, if they aren't a heavy user i can hardly imagine your 8 year old will run into the teacher at a rave.
nor do i imagine that the teacher spends all monday morning telling the kids.

so HOW are they setting a bad example if the kids don't ever know?
so seriously, unless you as a parent don't drink, smoke, have sex, speed in your car, swear etc etc, things your child is more liley to learn from you and do, than from a teacher (who i made add is a person after 3.30pm not a teacher) doing something they can't see, mind your own damn buisness.

if you have an issue with the teachers preformance, and you think drugs are a factor, then fine, but if you can't see it effecting her preformance, then move ON.

-for the record, i am a non drug taking, non smoking, rare drinker, in an industry where most people take lines of speed at work (i am a chef...), and as long as it doesn't affect me, my job, or theirs, its non of my buisness what they waste their money on.

I have to admit I wasn't aware that ecstasy was a 'hard' drug. When I first read the beginning of the thread I thought it was in reference to something like heroin or crack. Ecstasy is far more 'user friendly' than most people are lead to believe. And no I do not take it.
I'm inclined to agree with the negative side-what teachers do in their own time, away from their pupils is their own buisness as long as it doesn't interfere with their working ability and they aren't in any way encouraging others to also use.

As has already been stated-what about smoking teachers? If something should be targeted as providing a bad example smoking's gotta be at the forefront. Waaaay past the occasional use of ecstasy.

I wouldn't give a rats.......esp if it is not affecting my life in any way, shape of form!!

Not that I care, but isn't that an ostrich head in the sand outlook....

"Forensick - most recreational drugs are no more damaging than legal ones..."

Well, without swearing, show me some evidence that most recreational drugs are no more (or less) damaging than legal ones... Recall dosage - Most legal ones are taken in much higher dosage (such as tobacco) because of their availability.

I do not really think continual use of drugs (of any sort legal or illegal) would be beneficial for teaching, but most of all, any drug that alters your state of mind in one form or another is causing damage - and may lower the ability for a person to think rationally - this may include loss of temper or something as simple as short term memory loss - although many of those things can also be attributed to todays social climate, pollution and other environmental factors as well so it is hard to pin-point to drugs alone.

I would without hinderance say that most recreational drugs would affect the person taking it in an adverse way in some shape or form - whether or not it affects their ability to work effectively I don't know!

I am sure there are studies done on this... But there is most certainly no reason to have your head in the sand...

all illicit drugs affect peoples ability to function properly, and before you attack me, i have ssen it first hand. they completely change the way people behave, even something that supposedly wears off after a while has side effects for days, if not a week or more after being taken.

Anyone that works with or around children should bloody well know better!

were it the teacher of one of my children, i would be on the phone to the dept of education in a second!

I wasn't aware that ecstasy was a hard drug either. It always amazes me that amount of people that comment on and condemn, something that they never intend to try themselves.

Most people I've met that take ecstasy usually grow out of it anyway. If he/she wants to take it on the weekend, away from their professional life, so be it. I've met quite a lot of school teachers, primary and secondary that smoke marijuana on a more than regular basis.

"using recreational drugs isnt a criminal offence, just litghten up"

yes it is....

I think teachers should be treated like everyone else in this matter, if they take it and get caught it shouldnt matter if their a teacher or whatever, it is still illegal and they will be treated acordingly. Sure if they are using it within school houres then it is a slightly different matter. I dont think ecstacy is a hard drug either.

in regard to my no more damaging....

well, drug related deaths are, as someone said, 99% tobacco/alcohol related.
and so what if you are talking dosage.
we are talking recreational usage.
and even then you simply don't take as much E as you would beer, so saying that beer isn't as bad because its of a higer dosage is ridiculus.

does that mean we can't compare the dangers of paracetamol to codiene ecause they are taken in different dosages?

and as for people saying the adverse affects last for "weeks" afterwards...
given the amount of people that take recreational drugs you think you'd notice it more wouldn't you.....

you know your doctors tend to take drugs too?
and your nurses
we all know politicans do
i don't see half the afl getting fired for their drug usages, even though they are "great" role models.
50% of chefs that cook your meals tend to actually be on something AT work, but you never seem to notice either.

oh and by the way,
the kids "band" hi-5, get high in the green room before shows....
gonna boycott them too

As someone who is studying to be a primary school teacher and someone who is going to be having a child soon i would say that it is not acceptable to take drugs. Although that said we do teach children not to smoke and many teachers smoke also. That said smoking is not illegal.
I would not feel comfortable with a teacher teaching my child knowing that they were a drug user. Many teachers probably are though and we would never find out.

i dont think anyone should take hard drugs thats my opinion anyway. iv seen people that i went to school with that were fine students and had the world at there feet but now when i see them god they look shocking.

in regard to my no more damaging....

well, drug related deaths are, as someone said, 99% tobacco/alcohol related.
and so what if you are talking dosage.
we are talking recreational usage.
and even then you simply don't take as much E as you would beer, so saying that beer isn't as bad because its of a higer dosage is ridiculus.

does that mean we can't compare the dangers of paracetamol to codiene ecause they are taken in different dosages?

and as for people saying the adverse affects last for "weeks" afterwards...
given the amount of people that take recreational drugs you think you'd notice it more wouldn't you.....

you know your doctors tend to take drugs too?
and your nurses
we all know politicans do
i don't see half the afl getting fired for their drug usages, even though they are "great" role models.
50% of chefs that cook your meals tend to actually be on something AT work, but you never seem to notice either.

oh and by the way,
the kids "band" hi-5, get high in the green room before shows....
gonna boycott them too

So did/do some of the Aussie rugby team...

Doesn't make it right tho does it?

Dosage is dependant on drug... Not amount of... Slight difference there, but that's ok.

And yes you do notice a difference - refer to my previous post about a year 12 student from A in the class to A class drug user....

I'm sorry if drug use is so widespread throughout our community that it's accepted... no it's not any different than turning up to work hungover, but it doesn't make it RIGHT!

for the people you claim are being influenced by the techers unseen after hours activities, those drugs are no less illegal then the cigarettes

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. Are you trying to tell us that 'those drugs' e.g. ecstasy, cocaine, etc. are legal? Because the laws are clear. tobacco - legal, alcohol - legal, others NOT LEGAL! Just because they are everywhere doesn't make them legal.

I'm not sure why the 'legal/illegal' argument is relevent. Just because something is legal that doesn't make it safe. So someone's addicted to perscription pain killers. It's actually not a bad thing because the drug is legal?
The issue is the effect of the drug. We all know what smoking does to you and what alcohol can do. One could argue that occassional ecstasy use is actually much less harmful than an addiction to cigarettes.

So maybe we should stop them drinking alcohol as they may turn up monday morning with a hangover ......and that would have a negative affect .
Once again not saying its ok to take any drugs , but i cant see its any ones business what he/she does .
As long as she is not hurting the kids in any way .

Yeah, I do think it would be wrong to teach a primary school class with a hangover

For me, It's all about how you treat the kids and i'd be surprised if anyone with a hangover or who is feeling terrible from a big weekend would be able to remain in a positive calm mood when dealing with a classroom of 30 kids.

If they can then that's fine and I have no issue.

However, if they can't then they should be more responsible or choose a job that doesn't involve kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back