Problem Child

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
I have a 6ft Water python that could best be described as Psycho. She will immediately launch at the glass when you approach. If you disturb her while she is eating , she goes absolutely nuts. Once out of the cage, she is no better and will continually try and bite.
I would like to hear peoples suggestions on what can be done to improve her or do you think she is beyond hope??

Probably beyond hope :)

I've had a couple like that before, first thing I did was cover their cage so they didn't hurt themselves attacking everything that walked past. Other than that.. all the normal advice. Feed in a seperate container. Handle as much as possible. I've calmed down a couple of quite aggressive snakes (to a degree) but have failed with a couple really bad ones... It's harder when it's a snake that might actually hurt when it bites, as well. Persevere, and good luck I guess :)

**edit**
What's shelike on a hook? I had one where I would hook her, and she'd be ok, then sloowwllyyyy lift a part of her body with my hand, almost so she didn't notice. Certainly helped in the long run.

Sorry Greebs can't help from first hand experience but am very interested as to whether she is an N.T. or a Qld Water?

Sorry Greebo, I think you might be out of luck with that one.

I would of said handle with gloves to get it out. But if it tries to eat you out side its cage a suit of armour might be a better idea..

How long have you had it?????

Mark

Ive got one now thats like that mate and it stresses ya out eh. Hits the glass, always knocking over the water bowl with posture while preparing to launch. The cover definately works to keep them from hitting the glass like sam said, but seems to keep it from seeing you present (walking past), which stops it from seeing you around - therefore isolating it. vigorous handling helped with one of mine, don't let it still itself just keep it on the move as much as possible - PPE is always good for the ones that go ya face!

Maybe if you still wanna view the snake you could cover up half the glass with newspaper so as to make it fell more relaxed while still be able to see it.

Regards Alex

Yeah cover the glass up and secure any items down, then after a while take the paper off and replace it with something stightly transparrent, keep ajusting the degree of transparency until u havnothing there. it may work. IMO.

Hi Greebo,

Having worked with Aussie Water pythons before in the UK, I thought they were all physco's, until I came out here and was pleasently surprised to find a few with normal, calm demeaner's.

What I tend to do with snakes that you describe is place them in a very large viv, and place plenty of large hides for them, also cover the front of the viv with black paper or card, and gradually remove the paper, so you can see a little more of the viv each time, over say two weeks.
After they have settled in for a few weeks I would get them out with thick gloves on and handle for 5-10 mins, lettting them bite the glove as much as they can, then if they are calming down , some weeks later I would take one glove off, and keep one on, you get my drift, until, the snake is fully tame.
I always remove the snake from the viv first with a hook.
Also place the snake in a large viv away from high traffic area's, where it will become more stressed.

Most snakes will calm down given time and patience, but you will always get the odd one that seems to have a hard time accepting that they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them.

Good luck with her.

Neil

My girl waters claimed down after I got them as yearlings possibly due to the fact I feed them more than their previous owner. So more food may be an answer. They have a sister ( owned by someone else ) who hasn't settled down but that may be the owners intention.

Also my biggest ( Nancy ) has moods, normally related to food. If constricting he will go anything within range and will strike at anything for about 1/2 a hour after feeding ( excepting the time I overfeed him ). Normally, however, you can just reach in and pick the boofhead up.

I tried most of the things that people have suggested.
She has been kept in a low traffic area, so she would stop hurting herself by hitting the glass. I do use a hook to get her out, as I do with all my large snakes but she used to flip out at the first touch of the hook.
After trying all the normal suggestions, this is what actually worked.
I put her in with another water python (male) and in an enclosure that is in the busiest part of the house. The enclosure is very open with the front, a side and part of the top being glass. There is a large hide that they can both fit in and a click-clack full of water that they love to sit in.
She is a completely reformed python now. She no longer strikes at any thing that moves and she eats comfortably in full view of everyone.
Putting her in an exposed area goes against all the advise that I have ever been given. I post this not to try and prove people wrong but as an example that snakes are curious creatures and what works on one may not work on another.
I also hope it encourages others not to give up hope on their problem snakes, as you never know.

Re: RE: Problem Child

NCHERPS said:
also cover the front of the viv with black paper or card, and gradually remove the paper, so you can see a little more of the viv each time,
Neil

Hey this is what i said!!! god i'm a thinker :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Problem Child

Greebs, that's great news mate! Strange though, lol.. gives everyone something to think about I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back