problems with pink tongue skink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyf

Reaction score
i just checked on the reptiles and i have noticed that my pink tongue skink has no use in her back legs, i have looked at the temps and everything is ok, she has always used her back legs but she cant move them at all now. i picked her up and she was hardly moving she gave me a couple of hisses but that was it. i dont know how she could become like this as i always keep a close eye on my reptiles i check them everyday.

has she completely lost use of her backlegs or is she just holding them up against her tail as she cruises around ? pink tongues often cruise around with minimal use of their backlegs.

if she is lethargic and not reacting to anything you do maybe think about taking her to a vet could be a sign of impactation or some other problem.

More details on husbandry.

What do you feed her, how often, has she been eating? Temps? UV? etc etc etc

Go to a vet, you won't find a cure sitting around on a forum for hours..

It's 10.30pm on a Sunday night. Which of the Bris vets are reptile-specific and still open right now?

Some more info would be good, Matt. Do you think it could be impaction? I agree with nathancl that pinkies do seem to be on the lazy side with their backlegs at times....

loss of use in the back legs can be early signs of metabolic bone disease,treatment includes lots of alcium and vitamans and uva and uvb.Or could be a lazy lizard.getting the lil guy vet checked would be the way to go.

Any emergency vet service Kristy - everybody has a phone and would be willing to call a colleague who is more knowledgeable.. ANYWAY yes metabolic bone disease or impaction can cause these signs but please give us more information on husbandry - especially diet and UV.

Any emergency vet service Kristy - everybody has a phone and would be willing to call a colleague who is more knowledgeable.. ANYWAY yes metabolic bone disease or impaction can cause these signs but please give us more information on husbandry - especially diet and UV.

No need to get snippy, Phil. As you are probably more aware of which vets would be able to help her at 10.30pm on a Sunday, I was asking you to provide details if you knew which vets would be able to help her. Geez.

hey guys thanks for the replies.

i have a hot and cold end, hot end gets around 30, and the cold end gets around 24-25. i spray in the enclosure with my spray bottle every day..i use a red heat light. its on a thermostat at around 30 and the probe is near the basking rock. it switches off if it gets too hot.

i feed her meal worms and crickets and if i can get them snails also. and vegies once a week, shes never eaten by herself she is always tong fed until she refuses.

with her legs they dont tuck up as she is being lazy, they hang down and drag on the enclosure flooring.
i done some research on the

i did some research on the motabolic bone disease. it sounds like she does have that, im going to see if i can get off work tomorrow to take her to the vet and to get a answer on it.

Do you give her UV? How about calcium/vitamin supplements?

yes i do give her uv, i dont give her the supplements she has always been healthy and fit. but its just been the last couple of days that her back legs werent moving.

im not positive but in a article in reptile australia mag they said pink tongued skinks only eat snails for their nutrients or something and they need UV

Have bred pink-tongues successfully for years and have never been exposed to UV light. They move about at night when it's cooler, as they don't like high temperatures. They don't eat mealworms OR crickets, apparently will accept fruit though mine never have. My ones have been maintained and raised on snails, tinned cat foods and pink mice with no metabolic problems EVER. As Nathan pointed out, these guys often cruise about the enclosure with their legs held up over they're tail and pulling themselves along with their front legs, as well as the regular expected 4 legged movement. Females also give birth in this unusual posture. Just make sure for certain they have no feeling in the back legs before racing off to a vet.

im in a bad situation at the moment and dont know what to do.. i have been instructed to put her down but i cant come to terms with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back