Professional artist enclosure background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
your sister could make a lot of money making these displays in the reptile industry what type of paint did your sister use as some paints eat into poly as they are solvent based ( petrol mixed with poly makes napalm ) and most paints contain petrol solvents as i said so this could be an issue but i love what shes done

thanks for the insight

i think you'll find that she 'sealed' the poly with the cement before she painted, but its a great warning for others.

yes, Jax has it right. between the poly and the paint is a layer of "Quickwall" concrete mixed with PVA glue, which allows for fine textures and sculpting detail. the paint was just regular water based acrylic house paint. I sealed that with some Pondtite on the surfaces that would be getting wet/dirty and need cleaning.

And if anyone is interested in having her make them a background, she charges $50 an hour! (I got mates rates -lol)

Wow, that has to be one of the nicest backgrounds I have ever seen! Is it inspired by one of the temples at the Angkor Wat complex in Cambodia?

it sure is, not sure if i posted the picture she worked off earlier? it was specifically from ta prohm.

thats awesome, shes lucky shes not my sister, i'd fill my garage with poly and lock her in there with a knife, render and some paint. hahaha

LOL, yes amazingly it only took her a few weekends!

absolutely amazing :) am showing this to my crafty hubby... have been trying to get him to help renovate and enclosure for a while now.

couple of pics of him in (and out) of his nice house. He often will just hang out stretched out over 2 levels. Makes me happy to see him using the space, and getting a good workout.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 485
I reckon some of the Aztec ruins in South America could be similarly interesting.

Absolutely amazing. You are truly blessed to have such a generous and talented sister.. thanyou for showing us your gem, and inspiring us all!! Not going to copy the design (well maybe one day), but definately going to re-think my technique, and rock wall design now.. haha!!

does anybody throw sand onto theirs for extra texture??

Another site I reads uses the sealant as a glue and puts superfine coloured sands on for texture / grip / reduce the shine.

Thats unreal, well done i had a go at making the fake rock didnt come out nothing like yours and with the detail gee that must of taken quiet some time to do

i keep coming back to this thread to gaze at the pics... definately best i have seen also! started my first rock wall today.. took all afternoon just to position the styrofoam! and i now have crusty 'manhands' cos at the start i wasnt wearing gloves.. that foam in a can stuff is a shocker!! will post pics nxt week in a new thread...

well i recon it is CRAP!!!!..................................
CRAP that i cant do something like that!!!

Great looking enclosure , but the snake looks way to big for it! you need a tree snake! :D

well i recon it is CRAP!!!!..................................
CRAP that i cant do something like that!!!

haha cheeky bugger, ive tried and failed misserable would love to make something like taht for mine, looks unreal ay, i can make mint looking enclosures guess need to find some that can make the rock walls and do some dealings lol

I was wondering: this quickwall substance you speak of- is it an actual product you can buy or is it simply concrete mixed with PVA? if so do you think you would be able to post the mixture ratio up? - by the way awesome enclosure! I might want to marry your sister! :)

I was wondering: this quickwall substance you speak of- is it an actual product you can buy or is it simply concrete mixed with PVA? if so do you think you would be able to post the mixture ratio up? - by the way awesome enclosure! I might want to marry your sister! :)
Hi. Its actually the brandname: QUICKWALL. you can only buy it in bulk, like 10kg bags. there are quite a few different types you can get, not sure which one she used. I suggest Googling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back