Puppy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a BIG dog in a small package consider Miniature Pinscher. Great dogs, smart and cost alot less to feed. Here is a pic of mine

TheDex4.jpg

Couple of things I would consider

- A pound, rescue or RSPCA dog; these are just as good, if not better than pure breeds; a reduced tendency to have genetic disorders (Pathology lectures at uni = ALWAYS mentioning various pure bred dogs that are prone to different ailments). You're also giving a dog another chance, when some other idiot abandoned them.

Breeds that I would consider
- Golden retriever; intelligent, gorgeous coats, happy-go-lucky type personality, love virtually everyone.
- Border collie; not for many, they are a working breed, need to be kept very active. Border collie x kelpies are also really nice.
- German shepherd; dual purpose, both companion and will tend to scare intruders away, nice coat and appearance, very intelligent animals

you could rescue a greyhound off the track. very mellow dogs, and dont need heaps of exercise :)

sadly you can also bring home a border collie that is stupid, plain and simple. i see too many in the salon that dont have a brain between their ears, infuriating animals.

As you would have seen in the photo I have two border collies. Gypsy is from working lines and penomenally intelligent. Bailey (my ex's but she decided to leave him with me) is pedigreed. He's a good-natured eating machine... smarter than a lot of dogs but not a patch on Gypsy. When Gypsy was 3 and Bailey was 2 a friend who had acreage mentioned that 80 sheep were agisted in one of their paddocks and would we like to take the dogs up. Neither dog had ever seen stock before, let alone worked them. I put Gypsy on a 20' lead and let her get used to the sheep. She settled well so I let her off off the lead and walked across the paddock away from her and the sheep. Looking over my shoulder there she was working the sheep behind me. Cool. Did the same with Bailey. Look, settle, off lead... off he raced up the hill and chased the sheep the length of the paddock! Whistled Bailey up and popped him back on his lead. My wife let Gypsy off her lead and 10 minutes later I had 80 sheep in a tightish mob in front of me! He's got a gorgeous nature but he's thick as a plank compared to the working lines. :)

greyhounds are very majestic looking dogs! Oh my.. All of these breeds coming out of the woodworks.. I'll have to have a long look at each of these breeds that appeal to me, and see which of them suits me the best :)
Thank you soo much everyone! You have all been a big help

Nat ;)

You wouldnt belive it but Poms came from Wolf-Spitz dogs from Russia . They were used as Guard - sled dogs in Pomerania and the smallest would be kept as indoor pets .

Ive got 2 amstaffs and they are awesome dogs,great guard dogs and great couch potatoes.
But they arent for everyone as they require alot of training and a firm hand.
My mum has wanted another dog for quite a while so last week end i bought her a puppy boxer.She is very cute and incredibly smart for a pup.

Attachments

• 26092009046.jpg
    26092009046.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 37
Some has to say it- get a real dog :p
09-08-09_1553.jpg

I got my pup 1.5 years ago when my older dog looked like she was on her way downhill. She seems to have perked up since :) She doesn't like him though, still jealous.

i vote for the animal shelter too!
husky's need a lot of room and exercise... but are lovely to look at :)

I am in the same boat Herpsrule.
I took in a purebred Amstaff from a neglecting home two years ago and just recently we found out he has cancer and its only a matter of time before we have to say our goodbye's. He is the most gentle, calm, loving dog you could imagine, but is also very guarding of the house. I absolutely love this guy and will miss him so much.
Achilles

Hey Troyster, Are yours purebred amstaff?
Put some pictures up anyway. When its time for me to get a new pup im going to see Andonas Kennels for a nice puppy. 4.5k each but worth it.

ok, i'll check out the Animal Welfare League in arundul and see what they have got. That is a great idea, rescuing a dog and gaining a companion at the same time :)
thanks again

Nat ;)

I am in the same boat Herpsrule.
I took in a purebred Amstaff from a neglecting home two years ago and just recently we found out he has cancer and its only a matter of time before we have to say our goodbye's. He is the most gentle, calm, loving dog you could imagine, but is also very guarding of the house. I absolutely love this guy and will miss him so much.
Achilles

Hey Troyster, Are yours purebred amstaff?
Put some pictures up anyway. When its time for me to get a new pup im going to see Andonas Kennels for a nice puppy. 4.5k each but worth it.

Yeah both of mine are purebred papered dogs.I have a blue male and a red bitch.
Ill add some pics tomorrow.

if you want to rescue a dog from the shelter i would recommend getting an older animal that is not a maltese/poodle/shihtzu cross (any of the 'mini' cross dogs) as sometimes their lines have been so interbred that they have developed some serious genetic conditions. most commonly seen in the salon where i work would be twisted ankles (permanently twised over 90' outwards, the dogs cant walk properly), poor eyes and sinus problems. by getting a more grown dog, or an adult, you can see their conformation straight up.

i tried to rescue a dog from the shelters, but every time i found one that would have suited me they ended up screwing me around time and time again. ended up finding the perfect dog from a lady that couldnt care for her anymore, so i still feel like i did a good deed :)

how is your search going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back