Pygmy Bearded Dragon Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey guys I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight into why my PBD has been acting so strangely lately.
In recent weeks she was running into the wall and scratching at the glass in a particular corner of her enclosure. I moved her into a bigger enclosure yesterday because she had outgrown the old one and I thought that might be a cause for the strange behaviour. However, she is doing the exact same thing in the same corner of her new enclosure. Since I moved her she also bites me whenever I pick her up which she has never done before. These bites obviously don't hurt but the aggressive behaviour is a little worrying to me. She was so busy running and scratching at the glass yesterday that she completely ignored the crickets I tried to give her.
I have read a few things on here and just on the net in general that say the running into the glass thing might be because of her reflection but I put a small mirror next to the wall to see if that was the problem but she continues to stay in the same corner.
Any advice/help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
PS Sorry for the giant length of my post too.

G'day saximus - I'll forewarn you that I'm only familiar with centrals and easterns, but I'm assuming pygmies behave in a similar fashion... so please take the advice from an experienced Pygmy keeper over my advice any day, but I'll try to help.
Fistly, do you take her out of her enclosure much? If so, what is she like then? Does she run for sunlit areas and/or try to get outside? Are there any other dragons in her line of sight? This is a long shot, but is there any chance she could be pregnant (and thus trying to get out to lay)?
I've had similar glass dancing/climbing behaviour in our beardies, and we resolved that issue by screening their field of vision, with paper bluetacked along the bottom of the glass, and a partition screen between enclosures.
Also, be aware that she might end up giving herself snout rub if she continues this over an extended period.
Sorry this is a bit of a stab in the dark, and I hope that someone has more definite answers for you. Regardless, let us know of the outcome.
Cheers,
Nic

Hey Nic thanks for the reply. She is on her own in her enclosure so she isn't pregnant. I don't take her out that often but when I do I just hold her because she is so quick she would get away from me very easily. Like I said she has never bitten me before so that is the more worrying part of the behaviour. I might try the thing with the paper to see if it helps though.
Thanks Dan

Yeah, I dunno... As far as I'm aware, they'll only bite what they believe to be a food source or a threat... It doesn't sound like there's a health issue involved, just a behavioral one. I don't want to give you a bum steer; try the paper along the bottom of the glass, but I'm not too confident that will help. It doesn't seem to be another dragon firing her up, which was the issue we faced with our guys.
I hope someone else on this site can give you some more useful advice.
Nic

stress. stop trying to handle it. they aren't really for cuddles. post a pic of your setup too. it's easire to see any environmental issues that way.

My beardies used to climb walls and try to climb the glass doors etc. They're a bit older now, so I don't know if it's just that they've grown out of it or whether it's cos I let them out every now and then in my reptile room and let them have a run. I let some crickets out on the floor and they chase them round.

Mine are older now and are kind of lazy unless food is envolved, so not worried about them running away, but you could try a room with a door shut and no places they can run under.

The only reason they try and climb the glass now is cos I'm holding the cricket tub and they want to eat them, and they basically jump out at the tub as soon as I open the doors!!

Renegade - thank you for your criticism. I will try to get a couple of pics up but until then I will describe it. I have a basking rock with a heat lamp at one end and a water bowl at the other end. Other than that the rest of the enclosure is just bare sand.
I am not interested in handling her for "cuddles". I was more worried about the biting because it indicated an aggressive side which previously wasn't there.
Lovemydragons - hopefully it is something she will grow out of. I have read a few things that say I should also try letting her out into a more open area for a good run around. I plan to make a little pen out of some scrap planks of wood that I can just set up outside on the grass or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back