Pygmy bearded dragon help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomBeardies28

Reaction score
Hi Guys! Newbie here, this is my first post on this site and im hoping to get some good answers!

0 - Is a 91x 45x 60cm high viv enough room for two pygmies to live happily?

1 - Is desert sand ok for beardies? Even the ultra fine reptile stuff? I DONT want impaction!

2 - Does the 10.0% UVB lighting thing apply to pygmies too?

3 - If you have Pygmies could you post how old and how long they are? I'd love to see pics!

4 - Can you explain thermostats to me simply? (im only 13 and dont go very well with scientific terms!)

5 - How long will it take for my licence to arrive?

6 - If I get a female/male pair from hatchling will they breed long term? (Not wanting babies!!!)

7 - Heat mats or ceramic lights for night heating? If bulb, what wattage?

8 - And finally is a cricket rock feeder ok or will they be over fed?

Oh and just to be clear I classify Pygmy as Pogona henrylawsoni :)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
0 - Yes
1 - Yes, but Kritters Krumble is better to minimize odor
2 - Yes
3 - 3 yrs, 25cm roughly
4 - In my opinion (and thats all it is), thermostats are essential. They'll stop your beardys from overheating and maintain a constant temp.
5 - Depends what state you're in. In NSW you can do it instantly online
6 - Like rabbits
7 - I use moon (dark blue/purple) light bulbs. Wattage depends on how close the dragons can get to the bulb. They need a basking temp of around 33 in the day and 25 at night. This is where thermostats come in.
8 - Never used one

THANKYOU! Finally some valuable info! Ive been asking questions like crazy on yahoo answers, and not getting anything!!! THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!
0 - Yes
1 - Yes, but Kritters Krumble is better to minimize odor
2 - Yes
3 - 3 yrs, 25cm roughly
4 - In my opinion (and thats all it is), thermostats are essential. They'll stop your beardys from overheating and maintain a constant temp.
5 - Depends what state you're in. In NSW you can do it instantly online
6 - Like rabbits
7 - I use moon (dark blue/purple) light bulbs. Wattage depends on how close the dragons can get to the bulb. They need a basking temp of around 33 in the day and 25 at night. This is where thermostats come in.
8 - Never used one

This site is great isn't it? I'm also 13 and it's good to get the info and encouragement from this site for the reptile hobby (I'm a python lover myself as you can see from my name) :D I own two snakes (spotted yearling and bredli hatchling) and this site on it's own has taught me the joys of owning reptiles and I would get / and am getting another snake without a second thought. Welcome to APS and we would be happy to see pics of your reptiles and setup when you have the time!

0 - Yep, perfect size. I have 2 pygmies (1 adult and a juvie) and 1 adult central netted in a tank that size.

1 - yep, it's fine, and looks good too

2 - yep

3 - 2 year old thats 26 cm, 1 year old thats 15 cm (she was a runt, so she's small)

4 - thermostats are awesome, you should use one. you plug your heat lamp into that instead of into a wall socket and then put a temperature probe (which comes with the thermostat) into your tank to measure the heat. you then set the thermostat at a temperature - say, 35 degrees for the basking spot - and your thermostat will turn your heat lamp on and off for you to keep it at that set temperature.

5 - like Skeptic said, it can be done instantly online, otherwise maybe 2 to 3 weeks.

6 - they sure will

7 - we use a ceramic bulb, heat matts can be dangerous because it can burn the beardies bellies

8 - you can use one if you like, but you might want to only put it in for half an hour or an hour a day. personally i like to feed mine separately and counting how many crickets they eat - lets me keep an eye on who is or isn't eating or who might be unwell (e.g. if i know my adult male typically eats 12 large crickets in a sitting and one day he eats only 5, i know to watch him next time he eats to see if he's making a habit of not eating much)

hope that helps!

It sure did! Cant wait to get my babies even though they are a fair way away yet.. :( But still excited!!! :) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back