Pygmy Python - Antaresia perthensis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njames

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering if this cool little python is kept by any of you. I understand it has a relatively small home range in W.A. and was wondering if its rarity is the reason why its not a popular species kept. Any info is good info!

rare i believe..

some people do have them tho...

Snake ranch purchased I believe 2 or 3 pairs,

They will become more common, sames as any other anterisa just smaller finickey.

The price range for such a little snake is also a hold back for some people. I was looking at getting a pair myself, until I found out that I was looking at around $3,500 minimum!!

I think they're gorgeous and I'd get one in a second, but I was under the impression that they were like oenpelli's and too rare for the pet trade at the moment.
But if Snake Ranch has some, I guess I was wrong! Exciting news!
I guess they'd be more expensive than the other antaresia species, having a smaller population. So most people might prefer to get several maccies or stimmies than one pygmy.

They are actually very common and abundant over most of their range.
They are not on the WA take list, this is probally the main reason there are not huge amounts in captivity.
There are still quite a few people that keep them thou, and as has been said the price they ask for them is ridiculus for such a boring little python.

They're just a slightly smaller than usual Children's Python with a slightly different pattern with smaller clutches and smaller babies (nastier to get feeding). I don't know what the hype is about. A particularly large one is about the size of an average Children's. They grow much larger than the minimum breeding size for regular Children's Pythons, sometimes over a metre (regular Children's can breed at under 60cm). Cool snakes but give me a regular Children's instead. When you could legally collect them people often didn't even recognise that they were anything other than a local variant of a Children's Python, so one one really bothered. Now that they're rare in captivity people want them.

A fair few have been illegally poached in the last two or three years. These should be producing reasonable numbers of babies, so the price should drop before long. I imagine they'll be worth less than regular Children's within 10 years or so. It's only a small number of people who would appreciate them, and once all of them have a pair or two their value will crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back