Python books

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes

Reaction score
What books to you guys recommend on Aussie pythons? Or Aussie snakes in general? Any must have's out there?
(I have some christmas money thats buring a hole in my wallet) :D

Bakes, do you mean care and husbandry or just books in general? Australian Snakes; A Natural History by Richard Shine is a great book on how snakes live, feed behave, have evolved ect. There are also some good feild guides out there.

Barker & Barker's "Pythons of the world, Volume 1 Australia" is the best and most comprehensive book on Aussie pythons. You might have to do a bit of work to find it though. VPI was selling it a few months ago. Quite expensive, but definetely the best.

A bit of both, Species specific and general snake books. I love to read and although I can get most of the info off the net, its not the same as having a good book in the book case. Thanks for the names, I'll keep my eye out for them.

Hi Bakes,

I highly recommend "Pythons of Australia - A Natural History" by Geordie Torr.
UNSW Press, 2000.

It's still available through your local book shop, though you might have to order it in.

A very good book and a good overall read.

Juicy even!

It should quench that thirst mate :wink:

Cheers, zen

Any of these books - Keeping Childrens Pythons by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green
- Keeping Carpet Pythons by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green
- Pythons by Doug Wechsler

You can pick these up on ebay at reasonable prices from "parpet"

Barker & Barker's "Pythons of the world, Volume 1 Australia" is the best and most comprehensive book on Aussie pythons. You might have to do a bit of work to find it though. VPI was selling it a few months ago.

I have to agree with this! It's the Python "BIBLE"

Under 200 mate, that's even if you bring it in from the States. Probably well under at the moment according to the exchange rate on the buck.

re Python

Yeh you need a POW1 or 2 written by biologists that are experienced keepers,POW2 will be out in the summer(USA) sometime,Dave Barker is sending it to the printers very shortly.The second in the series deals mainly with there extensive experience in keeping pythons and methods,with apparently an emphasis on Python Regius (Ball Python). :)

shamous1 said:
Hi Afro,

How much would we expect to pay for such a book?

The book is going for $US 220 including postage direct from VPI. Did notice that their consignment document redirects all undeliverable mail to ARP so they may have some copies floating around? :wink:

I have Three Books..."Care of Australian Reptiles In Capivity" by John Weigel ( $20.99 )
"The Guide to Owning an Australian Python" by John Coborn ( $19.95 )
and "Australian Snakes, A Natural History" by Richard Shine ( $34.95 )

All are great Books and cover Everything ( I think ) you need to know...plus some you dont..lol...

Get the 2nd edition of Australian Animal Toxins by Struan Sutherland. Its a very big book, and very expensive but is one of the best out there, especially if you like elapids. Read the article on the book about 1/4 down this page: http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/News.htm .

There is a lot of information on treatment and the effects of the venom, as well as the standard crap about natural history and biology.

Plus info on all things creepy, spiders, jellyfish etc.....

You might have to dig around a bit to find it, but it RULES!

There is another great book available on PNG snake bites. http://www.kingsnake.com/aho/aho1.html

I plan to buy it next pay, but have had a browse through it and its very interesting.

Also, song of the snake by Eric Worrell Is a must read.

The python books i have are:
Pythons of the World Vol 1 by Barker+Barker
Pythons of Australia by Brian Kend
Pythons of Australia by Geordie Torr
Pythons: a complete pet owners manual by Bartlett and wagner
The guide to owning an Australian python by John Coborn
Keeping Carpet Pythons by Kortlang and Green
The Complete Chondro by Greg Maxwell
The biology and management of the Diamond Python and Carpet Python in NSW by Rick Shine (NSW NPWS Species management report)

Hi mates,
where could I find a copy of "The biology and management of the Diamond Python and Carpet Python in NSW by Rick Shine (NSW NPWS Species management report)" ?
I have all the other books mentioned by Nick (Serpenttongue), and I have to say that the best ones are, according to my 2%, "Pythons of the World Vol 1" by Barker&Barker and "Pythons of Australia" by Brian Kend.
Cheers and I hope you can help me
Stefano

hey bakes
my reptile books are as follows
"a complete guide to reptiles of australia" - steve wilson and gerry swan - field guide - $40
"a field guide to reptiles of N.S.W" - gerry swan, glenn shea and ross sadlier - field guide - $30
"reptiles & amphibians of australia" - Harold G. cogger - field guide with other info (the bible) - not printed anymore...
"pythons of australia a natural history" - geordie torr - history, behaviour, reproduction, feeding, conservation, captive care and more - $30
"care of australian reptiles in captivity - john weigel - captive care, care sheets - $20
"care of australian wildlife" - erna walraven - has a couple of bits on reptiles but is mainly focused on the rehablitation and release of injured reptiles and other wildlife..
good luck with it.. hope you find a good book or two :)
Megz

GetCoiled said:
Hi mates,
where could I find a copy of "The biology and management of the Diamond Python and Carpet Python in NSW by Rick Shine (NSW NPWS Species management report)" ?
Stefano

I got my copy from Mike Swan Herp Books in Melbourne. I believe that you can also track it down by contacting NSW NPWS.

Thanks for all the info guys and gals, good stuff. I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back