Python keeps trying to escape?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CML88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi

My 7 month old stimmy everynight when enclosure light go out tries to escape. He will persist on and on pushing his nose on the roof or through the air holes. However during the day he just sleeps in his hides. Just checking is this normal? or is there somthing i am not doing right.

Cheers

ok thats cool, he is very very inquisitive just as soon as lights go out hes into finding a way out :p lol.

yea same with my 9 month old bredli. i think the rains and the warmer weather have got them going.

yea my childreni used to do that heaps when i first got him .... in his tub, he used to try to figure out ways to get out .... pretty normal i would say .... just enjoy it as it can get pretty funny

When I first got him, my stimmie was all over the enclosure and appeared to be looking for a way out every night. He has since settled down and, when he comes out at night now, mostly just finds a warm spot under the heat lamp to lie around (possibly ambush behaviour). He's still alert though. If anyone comes near the enclosure, the head comes up very quickly and the tongue starts flicking.

I use a red globe at night so I can watch my snakes when they are most active as they explore every corner, nook, & cranny in the enclosures. Complete contrast to my blueys which are diurnal & are curled up asleep under a hide at night, but are very active at daytime. Best of both worlds, day & night herps.

yeh my snake was very active last night. he wouldnt stop moving. it was funny watching him try and push his way out of the enclosure, i had to go and get some bricks from outside to weigh the top down as i dont have locks on the top of the enclosure yet..

Yeah this is normal, when active they move around a fair bit. Spend a fair amount of time hiding and digesting food as well. However, many snakes no matter how large an enclosure you provide, when active will spend the entire time attempting to leave and check all possibilities to escape. It one of the downsides to frog and reptile keeping, these specimens determined to get out, no matter how perfect the cage conditions.

haha sounds like hurc :lol:
hurcc-20100.jpg

'hmmmmm i wonder if this is the way to fuzzies??' :lol:

Hi - don't worry, this is completely normal snake behaviour. It is their mission in life to escape the confines of their cage and do what it is that snakes do best - hunt!
Like most pythons, yours is nocturnal and at night will hunt for food, driven by instinct. Sometimes, in the middle of the night I watch my pythons, and they are active and it's quite a different world!
cheers
Vicki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back