Qld recreational wildlife licence made easy (non ven pythons)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomreptiles

Reaction score
Getting a little confused, with what I was and wasn't allowed on my rec licence, I did some research and yes there are threads on this but it's still not clear.
So got onto derm and checked.
So we can have two restricted reptiles on a rec licence - being
Womas & gtp
Rough scaled PYTHONS are now classed as common so you can have a 100 if you want:)
If you plan to breed a pair of womas or gtps you must upgrade your licence, (unlike the others which you can put down as natural increase) and of course if you are getting more.
To upgrade all you need to do is send an email to: [email protected], attn wildlife licence, request your licence be upgraded for restricted reptiles, give your full name and licence number, along with your credit card details (cost is about $194 for 5yrs)
This is only for most general keepers, not for elapids.
So go nuts on your jungles, bhps, coastals, darwins, macs, RSPs,....etc within reason;-)
Hope this is helpful for people like me who found trawling through the derm website very time consuming.
I am sure I will have something wrong so feel free to correct me - nicely though....please.

Hey thanks Phantom I have been wondering about breeding GTP's and woma's again thanks.

That has just made it easy I had been searching and searching to find out what the go is with GTP's.

Thanks heaps

I've had a lot of trouble sorting through the qld rules aswell. Do we have to submit the details of our collection like other states?

Are gtp's and woma's the only 'popular' restricted species?

You don't have to submit annual returns like in Mexico (down south) lol. Queensland is I think the leader when it comes to easy regulations and common sense. We don't need import / export permits either and Movement Advice is free off the web.

Vens are also restricted.

Look up the Restricted Reptiles including venomous snakes in this document.

Cheers for that, had been looking into moving the QLD and was starting to check out what the go was. It's not like the NSW species book that clearly states the name of what you want to keep and what licence is required.

Cheers again

In a way it is. You have to maintain a record book where you specify species you keep, numbers and all transfers but you don't submit the book each year. Only if you get an inspection, you have to provide the book.

So with my ability to keep a couple of restricted animals on recreational license, can I keep elapids?

RBB's are such gorgeous snakes. I would love to make an awesome, huge display tank and keep a couple.

Absolutely not. To get your venomous endorsement, you require two written references from licenced elapid keepers as well as a current first aid certificate.

as well as a current first aid certificate.

and that's the biggest joke. You get bitten, apply bandage, fall over unconscious and then give yourself CPR. :lol::lol::lol: Have to love the bureaucrats and the workplace health & safety gestapo.

Here is a list forwarded to me from derm, I think there are positive attributes to both systems (NSW and QLD) and negatives of course!

Attachments

• species_2(1).xls
    105 KB · Views: 253
I do it for a bottle of red. lol

In the interest of my own safety I would probably like b to spend some more time with vens. At least I have a goal to work towards.

If all else fails, at least I know that alcohol will get me anywhere

Over the next couple of months I will be moving down to brisbane. Who needs or knows of a place that needs a volunteer for a collection?

Last edited:
and that's the biggest joke. You get bitten, apply bandage, fall over unconscious and then give yourself CPR. :lol::lol::lol: Have to love the bureaucrats and the workplace health & safety gestapo.

but what you have to realise is that there are alot of people that keep snakes that have not got the first clue on treating venomous snake bites, and it proberly a safe guard way to insure that they dont get sued for negligence.

Absolutely not. To get your venomous endorsement, you require two written references from licenced elapid keepers as well as a current first aid certificate.
and then wait up to 6 months for them to tell you you have insuficient information.......
the references need to be able to verify you know how to handle and maintain elapids, which in itself can be a big ask ( if you get a near fatal bite from one of your elapids for doing something stupid then the first people they look at are your refferees and why they signed you off in the firstplace)
if you also hold a damage mitigation for a period of 12 months this can also help prove that you can handle ticked off vens.....

Last edited:
but what you have to realise is that there are alot of people that keep snakes that have not got the first clue on treating venomous snake bites, and it proberly a safe guard way to insure that they dont get sued for negligence.

I agree but the snake bite treatment is only a very small component of a senior first aid course. Very, very small and you pay the full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back