Question about applying Wildlife licence

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunyi1031

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, i don't know where to post this. i just send out my application form for advance licence in Victoria today, the form is pretty easy to fill, it's my first one, i wonder what else they will do before approve, will they do house inspection or something like that? and normally how long you need to wait, they said about 3 weeks, could that be faster? help, im newbie here, lol
cheers

i might be completely wrong but dont you need a basic licence for a certain amount of time before you can have an advanced?

Not in Vic. You can get an advance license as your first license.

Not in Vic. You can get an advance license as your first license.

Looking at the DSE wildlife form now and from what I have gathered, with an advanced licence, you can basically own any reptile...? Venomous or not?

Yes. As long as they're on the schedule of approved reptiles able to be kept in Vic.

Last edited:
Hi, i don't know where to post this. i just send out my application form for advance licence in Victoria today, the form is pretty easy to fill, it's my first one, i wonder what else they will do before approve, will they do house inspection or something like that? and normally how long you need to wait, they said about 3 weeks, could that be faster? help, im newbie here, lol
cheers
u might get it in a week or it may take 4 weeks , it just deppends on how busy they are .
when i did mine i sent the form via express registered post just so they got it a day or so quicker and it could be tracked .

Yes. As long as they're on the schedule of approved reptiles able to be kept in Vic.

Private Wildlife (Advanced) Licence
Wildlife listed in Schedules 3, 4 and 8 of the Wildlife
Regulations 2002.

The above is straight off the application form from the DSE website. After scrolling down to the 'schedules' and having a quick squizz, there are plenty (if not most) of venomous snakes you can purchase. The only time you need written demonstration of competency with them is when you are under the age of 18..?

Lol, whilst I think the NSW system is a joke, I do agree with the steps and time a reptile keeper has to go through to obtain a category of licence which enables them to own venomous snakes.

I don't think being 18 years old with an advanced licence (simply because you bought one) is a good precaution before someone is able to go out and buy some of the most dangerous animals on the planet.

You send your form,you pay your money, you wait 1 -4 weeks depends on how busy they are and you get your licence. That simple :lol:

It's crazy how easy it is to get an advanced license in Vic. I've got no problem with it when it comes to acquiring animals like GTP, woma, frillies, RSPs and Spencers monitors, but it seems way too easy to be able to get a venomous snake. Something like the QLD system where you need references demonstrating competency seems like a more logical - and safer! - way to get a ven license.

Sunyi, you should have no problem obtaining a license, which can take as little as a week to show up. Enjoy working out which amazing critters you're going to get =) any ideas?

It's crazy how easy it is to get an advanced license in Vic. I've got no problem with it when it comes to acquiring animals like GTP, woma, frillies, RSPs and Spencers monitors, but it seems way too easy to be able to get a venomous snake. Something like the QLD system where you need references demonstrating competency seems like a more logical - and safer! - way to get a ven license.

Sunyi, you should have no problem obtaining a license, which can take as little as a week to show up. Enjoy working out which amazing critters you're going to get =) any ideas?

yea, i was questioning about how easy it is, and actually im only looking to adopt one albino darwin, which i don't need the advance licence at all, but i just think as they all said about reptile addiction, so maybe an advance licence would be more convenient in case i want someone not on the list of basic.
cheers

Private Wildlife (Advanced) Licence
Wildlife listed in Schedules 3, 4 and 8 of the Wildlife
Regulations 2002.

The above is straight off the application form from the DSE website. After scrolling down to the 'schedules' and having a quick squizz, there are plenty (if not most) of venomous snakes you can purchase. The only time you need written demonstration of competency with them is when you are under the age of 18..?

Lol, whilst I think the NSW system is a joke, I do agree with the steps and time a reptile keeper has to go through to obtain a category of licence which enables them to own venomous snakes.

I don't think being 18 years old with an advanced licence (simply because you bought one) is a good precaution before someone is able to go out and buy some of the most dangerous animals on the planet.

I think its great i can own an inland taipan or a saltwater croc lol

The trouble with the system of NSW is what if i have had lots of exp with vens but not kept reptiles privately then i have to keep a bluey or breardie, etc for ages before i can get what i want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back