Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Stimson?s are 11 months old now and eating frozen fuzzy mice that are just starting to open their eyes.

I read in another post that a 6 month old Stimson just ate a fuzzy rat :shock:

Should mine be on larger food ?

Cheers

James
www.sgl.org.au

one the same subject my carpet is about the same age what size fuzzyies should he be munchin

oh and thx for all the advice everyone, on the skinks no way in hell will i be feedin him them!!!!

I have a 10-month-old Diamond and he is on weaner mice, basically very small mice.

50 to 60cm maybe a lil biger thats just a guess im at work at the momento

Anyway, James and Luke, just give it a try and see.

James, that is fine size wise if they are being grown on slowly. Mine are 8 months old and will take an almost weaner mouse but I know popp has an 18 month old childreni who is smaller than that because he is willing to grow it along a lot slower. Artie, if your diamond is taking weaner mice at a similar age, don't you think fuzzies are appropriate for a snake that only grown to 1/4 the size? Stimmies will grow very fast if you feed them, I have heard of them breeding at 18 months but there is certainly no harm in feeding less and growing slower.

I see where you coming from Mags, as for 1/4 size Stimmie compared to a Diamond, but as you said, yours is 8 months old and can take a weaner.
Nothing wrong with growing them slower either, if thats what one prefers, but if they seem hungry and they get two or three Fuzzies, Why not try just one larger prey (if they take it) and feed less frequently, definitely for Luk's carpet IMO.

As far as James' Stimson ... I had spotted pythons at that age and that's what they ate. Cheers

the carpet i have here is about the same length as yours luke and eating small mice, well it ate one the other night :) without any probs, so its up to you really , go bigger if ya want, or dont go bigger n grow it slow

cheers
Pom

I use these as a guide:
The prey should put a decent lump in the snake. If the bulge in the snakes belly is not very noticable then it is time to move up a size.
Also if the snake will eat two of one size then it is time to try it on something bigger.

i also read some where that excelerated growing may lead to bone development probs later on

Diamond Python Syndrome is one of those problems, also what can happen, is the head of the snake will grow slower and not with the rest of the body and it will look out of proportion
But we are talking about power-feeding here.
Obviously not very healthy for any snake.

Thnx for the info ppl looks like my boy and girl are on the right track for food size they did not start eating until February so they are on the right size :)

James
www.sgl.org.au

I don't see any problem with feeding snakes up when their young, all young reptiles grow fast, once they reach an adult size their growth rate slows right down, as long as you adjust your feeding rates as the reptile grows theres not going to be a problem.

The whole DPS thing is still not understood cause so many people keep them in different ways and most have great success. It can't be sure what actually causes this in some animals.

Yes I agree, DP syndrome not actually being proven100% one way or another.
I was always defending the need to have uvb light, but as already mentioned in a previous thread, (my stimmie finally ate).
I recently acquired another Diamond from a breeder with some 20 or more Diamonds for over 10 years, all indoors, with nothing but a normal light globe for heating (about 8 hours a day) no other light and he has and has had only healthy snakes.
His main belief is not to overfeed and over heat them and have enough branches in the enclosure to crawl around to give them exercise.

Good to hear your stimsons are eating properly. My childrens that i got a few days after you started eating in march on live mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back