radiant heat for snake enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have done some homework and read the other threads in the forum and I have come to the conclusion I want to have a basking shelf for my jungle python. I am thinking two selves...one to allow the snake to sit on the warmth and another to allow the snake to sit underneath it.

I have looked at habistat reptile radiators and also at the thermofilm website for suggestions as to the sort of radiator I could get.

the enclosure size will be 1200 high by 900 wide by 600 deep......and I have included a pic of the enclosure I will be getting as reference.

My questions are these

How low should the shelf be away from the heat source

and

what wattage should I get.....50 watt or 75 watt we are in melbourne however the snakes will be in the living room which has central heating in winter.

(PS ia m getting two enclsores one for each snake and they are jungles and the enclosres will ahve wood veneering over the melamine on the outside so will look better than the pic)
If anyone wants the number of the person who is building the enclosures just PM me...I reckon this guy is the best enclosure builder in melbourne)

!BwLbdEgB2k~$(KGrHqYOKkIEwQNZwOpIBMH)hMZh4w~~_12.jpg Many thanks in advance Elizabeth

l use 75 watt habistat heat panels and have the perches/branches 150mm below the panel and control them with a habistat [dimmer] thermostat....solar 17 [Baden]

thanks baden

they emit heat upwards too don't they so I could do a double shelf where I have a shelf and put the heat emitter underneath and then have a second shelf underneath 15 cms down so the snake can go up high and have heat from underneath and then sit underneath to have heat from above...I think they would reall like that especially my girl who loves being up high

should i have a cage over the radiant heater ? Do they get hot enough to burn ?

Also I am thinking if i design the heat like that I will maximise the amount of heat from the heat plate.....it is a big enclosure and so I need to make sure I get enough heat.

Thanks for the help........i am feeling really confident I have sorted out how we will be doing the heating....and the enclosures will be big enough for my babies even when fully grown.

Elizabeth

Not sure what others find but I dont use a cover over the 75 watt habistat panel's and have never had a problem.
Yes they do emit heat upwards, mine are mounted on 10mm ply and the temp above is the same as the temp 15cm below the panels.

Hope this helps with your project.

that is great help russ

I am feeling really confident that i need to go back to the snake enclosure builder and let him know what i want to do

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back