rap vs rock

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO rap is EXTREMELY untalented, and being a musician I really can't stand it.

At least in Metal and Rock they have really talented musicians; I don't listen to much rock, mainly older rock bands like AC/DC, Queen, Deep Purple aaand The Stooges. But I looooove metal! Mainly Extreme Metal like Origin, Immolation, Nile, Spawn Of Possession, Decapitated, Vader, Dying Fetus ect. (I could go on forever).

I do like punk though. Their musicianship was lacking, but what I liked was what they stood for and how they expressed it through their songs. I really dislike anything these days considered punk by the mainstream (clueless ignorants).

the only hip hop i can stand is good aussie hip hop. I'm more into metal, thrash, some death and black metal. Really love some of the european bands but my faves are bands like trivium, metallica, pantera, damageplan, hellyeah, mudvayne, avenged sevenfold, slayer, children of bodom, satyricon, to-mera, nightwish, sentenced and a heap others. I do like some of the softer rock aswell.

Last edited:
I just want to point out a few things I know about rap... One, Blondie (70s - 80s icon, Deborah Harry) first introduced rap in a song called rapture (released in 1981).

In 1979 rap was introduced by the Sugar Hill's gang hit song "Rappers Delight".

But now, just like dance, there's many genre's falling under the one label ' rap.

I personally thoroughly enjoy Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. Both of which combine the efforts of rock and rap. But I also really enjoy a lot of dance music that may involve rap of some description in anyway shape or form.

I do not enjoy much R & B, but I can accept a few.

Heavy Metal etc - loved it for many moons - and I can still listen. But this newer screamer stuff, just doesn't do it for me anymore. I like what a few bands have done for modern rock (The Datsuns, Wolfmother etc) by bringing back a Deep Purple esque style. But I do miss the classic guitar solos and the not so mushy bollocks ballards that are out today!

Overall - I'm open to most styles and forms of music, not so much into country and western though. I don't doubt that they have some talent, but just not the sort of talent I like to think about... The first thing that comes to my mind when they say "lets have a hoe down" - isn't a barn dance!

I vote that any person posting pro-rap be deleted immediately...

Slim6y - I agree entirely with your post about Rock - the first time I listened to Wolfmother I loved the whole Deep Purple / Led Zep vibe. The rock scene had dropped off a bit before that...

Heavy Metal etc - loved it for many moons - and I can still listen. But this newer screamer stuff, just doesn't do it for me anymore. I like what a few bands have done for modern rock (The Datsuns, Wolfmother etc) by bringing back a Deep Purple esque style. But I do miss the classic guitar solos and the not so mushy bollocks ballards that are out today!

Overall - I'm open to most styles and forms of music, not so much into country and western though. I don't doubt that they have some talent, but just not the sort of talent I like to think about... The first thing that comes to my mind when they say "lets have a hoe down" - isn't a barn dance!

Ditto...

Being a muso I can tolerate most styles of music but not rap or new metal. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol: Having said that I don't mind the odd top50 song out there.

Personally I like all music styles IF there good. But I really don't like Rap / Hip-Hop much at all. Its basically no talent fools jumping around looking, acting and sounding like idiots.

That said :D there are some rappers that are awesome.. Everlast (ex House of Pain) Whitey Ford Sings the Blues is in my collection and I consider it a classic.

Some old school rap is good but all the new stuff is crap.
I hate it when people say "Tupac is still alive", hes not. He is DEAD and so is his music.

Metal, Rock &Punk all the way.

So, have any of the rap haters actually listened to good rap? Or is it all just based on generalisations and the stereotypical view of rappers as gun-toting fools? Good Aussie hip hop beats gangster rap hands down, and outfits such as the Herd, Hilltop Hoods, TZU etc are really producing some fantastic stuff, with positive messages and no guns or b-i-a-t-c-h-e-s in sight. While I don't enjoy gangster rap (too full of themselves...ooops...just started generalising) some of them have amazing technical skills, such as young Marshall.

So, I'll take skip hop over gangster rap anyday, but that doesn't mean I don't have Pantera lurking in my CD collection!!!! (or making a a high decibel appearance when the missus is out!)

I'n an indie girl, but I have a soft spot for cheesy rap, like MC Hammer, because it makes me LOL. Actually, I listen to quite a bit of music for the LOL factor. I got annoyed the other day because my media player wouldn't let me rate my hair metal collection as "LOLtastic."

To be fair though, there is a German rapper called Thomas D, whom I like. :)

Metal all the way! Big fan of Slipknot, Mudvayne, Metallica. If you haven't already heard it, give a listen to 'Scenes From a Memory' by Dream Theatre, which is a concept album about a man who explores a past life- cool stuff :)

IMO rap is EXTREMELY untalented, and being a musician I really can't stand it

I would've thought that it's musicians - that would appreciate more than anyone else, that anyone making music (be it rap, rock etc) has talent.

Metal

Metal is my fav. Love all types of music but not into that hip hop crap.

Bands like Anarion, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Godsmack, Iron Maiden, EdGuy. Too many to mention.

All the metal lovers out there check out a band called Anarion. Melbourne based (Broady) and have 2 Albums released to date. God friends with the family of Ric who sings.

rap,hip hop ,r and b ,rock,metal and punk witch is the best? Cmon guys!
Each of the above have tens of thousands of different groups and artists. Some of which are good, some are crap. Take the time to find the good stuff before you stereotype a entire form of music.
If you go by the rubbish thats in the charts or on the mainstream radio, you're just comparing a whopper to a quarter pounder and never really knowing what a real hamburger tastes like.

I'n an indie girl, but I have a soft spot for cheesy rap, like MC Hammer, because it makes me LOL. Actually, I listen to quite a bit of music for the LOL factor. I got annoyed the other day because my media player wouldn't let me rate my hair metal collection as "LOLtastic."

To be fair though, there is a German rapper called Thomas D, whom I like. :)

Oh my god- How could you leave out Vanilla Ice???????????????????????

Simone.

I am over 40 and i love Rap and Rock, as a teenager i used to listen to classic rock, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floydd, then onto ACDC, then Guns n Roses now I listen to anything my kids listen too !!!

Music Rocks the world!!!

Personally I prefer Tool, NIN, Audioslave, Janes Addiction, , Motorhead, Disturbed, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Marilyn Manson (coming out 0ct 6th) Godsmack, Deftones, Kyuss, QOTSA, Rob Zombie, Soundgarden, Hole, Black Label Society, Metallica, Sevendust, Eagles of Death Metal, Machinehead, Rolling Stones, Rage against the Machine and the list goes on and on and on..

I do have one :oops: Geto Boyz CD with 'god its good to be a gangster' 'mind of a lunatic' 'Gangster of Love' and other fun tracks :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back