Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once came across 2 little snakes in a waterhole, somewhere in the outback ( cant remember where, it was about nine years ago and I was travelling all around OZ) but they were about 20cm long with a magenta head and a yellow body, I have never been able to find a picture or find out anything about them, to bad I didn't have a camera!!

I found a striped blindsnake not far from where i live, iv looked in every id book on the market and havnt seen anything even close, nothing like the usual blind snakes iv seen around here.

I found a striped blindsnake not far from where i live, iv looked in every id book on the market and havnt seen anything even close, nothing like the usual blind snakes iv seen around here.

I'd imagine there are plenty of new blindsnake species floating around waiting to be described/discovered.:)

keep em coming, this gets me on the edge of the computer seat!!!

What about the Pailsi Pailsii, Johno could probably shed some light on this one.
I came across one at Duchess in 99 and it wasnt a happy camper!!!!

G'day mate,

I'm not too up to date on the Pygmy Mulga situation - my understanding is that there are three species, one from the Kimberly's, one from the Katherine/Darwin area and one from the Mt Isa area. They are classified as Pseudechis weigeli with further taxonomic work to be completed.

Cheers

not to long ago i saw an albino brown snake (eastern) in the local golf corse didnt have my camera so no pics and i kno alot of people will say i am lying but i saw what i saw and unfortunatley this area it was seen is being turned to houses :(:(:(:(

HI all,

There are plenty of undescribed snakes in Australia.

AS for what they are..well I am not going to say that.....

Cheers,
Scott

not to long ago i saw an albino brown snake (eastern) in the local golf corse didnt have my camera so no pics and i kno alot of people will say i am lying but i saw what i saw and unfortunatley this area it was seen is being turned to houses :(:(:(:(

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Been to a trip to the Pub?

Side note: I couldn't find any reference to recently extinct reptiles in Australia ... have any gone out of fashion at all?

Hi Chris,

The only Australian reptile that is feared extinct (though not officially listed as such) is the Retro slider (Lerista allanae). It's never been photographed alive.

There are others reptilian rarities, such as Ramphotyphlops longissimus - a blind snake known only from a single specimen unearthed during a drilling operation on Barrow Island. It came from a fair depth, and is (as far as I'm aware) the deepest-dwelling Australian reptile known. Of course, due to the extreme logistical difficulties of sampling such depths, there may be many more unknown. There are a number of other blind snake species that have been described from single specimens.

The pink snake (Cryptophis incredibilis) is known only from in Prince of Wales Island in the southern Torres Strait. I don't have personal experience with them, but I believe they're hard to find and may be genuinely rare.

As Jonno has said, there are a number of large, charismatic species that are known from few specimens, but I'll be more cautious and say that this might be due to the remote locations they inhabit rather than a genuine rarity of the species.

Christmas Island (an Australian territory in the Indian Ocean) has two endemics (a gecko and a blind snake) that haven't been located in a number of recent fauna surveys. The National Parks authority has commissioned a herpetofauna survey of the island (which should be happening soon), in part to try to determine the status of these two species.

And of course there were megafaunal reptiles such as megalania (giant goanna) and wonambi (giant python) that shared this continent with indigenous people for thousands of years, until they met with what was most likely an anthropogenic extinction.

Stewart

There have apparently been claims of sightings of Megalania in the Outback. I find it hard to believe that a 5m lizard could still be lurking without anyone knowing about it, though.

It's more likely to be a komodo dragon on holiday than a relictual megalania.

Stewart

I heard from a very reliable source that there was a small population of Indigo snakes down Heathcoate way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back