rat cages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeitup

Reaction score
hey guys,
what sort of food bowls etc do people use for there rats?i have recently built some rat cages using bunnings tubs with avairy mesh nut and bolted to the lid for fresh air. Im wondering how you build those food tunnels that have a lid on the bottom so the food can be just dropped in i think there are some pics in the gallery. could anyone who has constructed these please post pics and help me out!

I use drop in 10mm mesh boxes for food (GR2) The rats and mice can gnaw at it through the mesh.

For water do yourself a favour and buy some rodent water bottles from the herp shop. I prop them up on supports cut from upturned flower pots. I would only purchase the larger size bottles as the small ones need to be filled very often.

Anything that you put inside the cage will be chewed.

--
hs_CompleteChondro_thumb.jpg

January 2006 Herp Shop Special
Order your copy of the
** Hot off the press **
"The More Complete Chondro"

during January 2006 and receive a bonus free Oz Herp Thermometer and Oz Herp Hygrometer with each copy.
These neat little units normally sell for $6 each or $10 the pair.
hs_OzHerpTherHygro_thumb.jpg

Not to hard snakeitup just buy yourself some 10mm wide wire in any configeration and wrap it around a round/square peice of wood to the size you want. Cut a round/square section of wire out bigger than the cylinder/rectangle you just made and cut the wire so you have raw ends to wrap around the bottom with plyers. also leave 30mm turnouts at the top so it sits on the lid of the cage comfortably and can be removed to be refilled.

I use spirit bottles for my rodent water bottles ,all you need to do is drill a small hole in the lid and fill with water and your away , this method works just as well as the bought one's but at a much better price ( free from ya pisshead mates or ya local pub bin) , just mount the bottle in through wire so the rats can access it , it's that simple .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back