Rat Farm

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How boring would it be to eat the same thing day in and day out. You appreciate being able to eat a varied diet and I'm sure your rats would too. My rats absolutely love their fresh fruit and veges and they would have to be more healthy and happy with a varied diet.

Poor bloody snakes have to eat rats every week too! BORING!!!

lol if people had a cheap food in pellet form id eat it, lol uni students all over the world would be in on it, more money for beer.

My rats get bio mare cubes, lucerne chaff, cracked corn, wheat, sunflower seeds, fruit & veg and they absolutely LOVE mealworms....
I love the look of your set up... *goes off mumbling on how to improve my current housing*

Do you have a pic of these sippers?

The website didn't have photos, but I believe they were posted today, so I'll take a photo when they arrive... I think they're the stainless steal version of the plastic chicken drinkers.

How do you find they go reaching the food since the tubs are so tall? Especially the bubs just weaned?

Always been curious as to how that works, asI always keep my wire with the food in reach, if the tubs are too tall I provide a box they can sit on to reach comfortably.

How do you find they go reaching the food since the tubs are so tall? Especially the bubs just weaned?

Always been curious as to how that works, asI always keep my wire with the food in reach, if the tubs are too tall I provide a box they can sit on to reach comfortably.

There is more than enough bedding to halve the distance between the floor to the wire, and as Rats are actually very intelligent they always work out how to get more food into their bellies. The extra height also lets them stand fully and not be so confined. With weaners the mums take care of that, lining the nests with all manner of food items. Most 4 week old rats can work out how to feed themselves anyway.

There is more than enough bedding to halve the distance between the floor to the wire, and as Rats are actually very intelligent they always work out how to get more food into their bellies. The extra height also lets them stand fully and not be so confined. With weaners the mums take care of that, lining the nests with all manner of food items. Most 4 week old rats can work out how to feed themselves anyway.

Ah thats good then, I always worry that they can't get to the food, I have to remember they are rats and experts at what they do :lol:

I like to give them standing room aswell, I modified my rat rack so 4/5 of the area is fairly high, then the lower parts remains the food area. ( no food in the picture as that was just after I placed them in for the first time! :)) The mice rack was no problems as the tubs were high enough anyway.

Nice job by the way I wouldnt mind setting up automatic waterers, bottles can be a pain sometimes with not working properly.

Attachments

• mice rack.JPG
    mice rack.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 121
  • rat rack.JPG
    rat rack.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 130
awwww baby rats are so cute once they have fur on them anyway. then they get bigger and they arent so cute or when they look like little pink jelly beans also not so cute. still much rather feed the snake than have oodles of rats.

I like that idea . Going to the rats now and not looking forward to filling 250 water bottles which i do every day .Yes i will be using a set up similar to yours starting tomorrow but i will be using the tube and ball from water bottles on a plastic tube . Then i can have more rats as i sure need them . My rats are fed with pellets in a similar way only i do not have them on top but rather inside a cage with a wire top on the cylinder.
I have been using a rat and mouse cube from Norco and am finding that i am getting less waste and better litter sizes and healthier rodents all round . After 15 years of breeding feeders i think with that watering systemi may have at last found the right answer to breeding feeder rodents .
Barry

I am loving this simple idea! Thanks for sharing.

So how exactly does bedding get caught in the drippers? Does it get lodged up in the nozzle? Or do they leak when bedding is on the very tip?

Poor bloody snakes have to eat rats every week too! BORING!!!

Hahaha.... Ba-boom! Tchi!

Do you have a pic of these sippers?

They arrived today, so here's a pic. They're 3 piece things, the one on the right is assembled, the one on the left is not.

drinker1.jpg

Rats can jump quite high as well. So if worst comes to worst they'll jump to the mesh and then get the food...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back