Rat mixing tubs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have looked everywhere for the mixing tubs with no luck.

Im in Newcastle NSW does any one know of where i can get some?

Edit:
After the news you cant get them anymore, can someone point me to the tubs they are using.

Last edited:
Rat mixing tubs are good. But these days I just use a blender.

You can no longer get the concrete mixing tubs in Australia unless you find them second hand or import them.

After the news you cant get them anymore, can someone point me to the tubs they are using.

I use 54litre fish bins from Super Cheap for $11. The main things to look at is make sure they are not too deep and make sure there is no square edges for the rats to chew at.

I have heard using those shallow mixing tubs are really cruel for rats as they don't have the head room to stand up on their hind legs ect.

I use A 110L Tough plastic tub for my rats that I picked up from A cheap shop for about $20 I think

I have heard using those shallow mixing tubs are really cruel for rats as they don't have the head room to stand up on their hind legs ect.

I use A 110L Tough plastic tub for my rats that I picked up from A cheap shop for about $20 I think
How many rats to you keep in those tubs?

Ah I had 4 adults and A few weaners. Why is that?

I am thinking of making A second level out of plastic sheet and wire for ease of cleaning

Just wondering. I keep one female in each tub and her babies when they come up to four weeks old. I usually get between 8 and 13 to each litter but can most of the time reduce the litter to about 10 by evening them out.

Ah right I cull mine down to 8 each mother as soon as I see fur growing to feed my frills. But with 2 mothers one usually tries to palm her babies off to the other so I am thinking of making A rack for 1 mother and babies to stop that problem.

But I am only feeding 2 snakes plus occasionally my frills and ackie so I might just keep 1 male and 1 female. It still works out cheaper to breed my own then it is to buy anyway so I don't worry about that and I also like rats so that is A plus :)

Ah right I cull mine down to 8 each mother as soon as I see fur growing to feed my frills. But with 2 mothers one usually tries to palm her babies off to the other so I am thinking of making A rack for 1 mother and babies to stop that problem.

But I am only feeding 2 snakes plus occasionally my frills and ackie so I might just keep 1 male and 1 female. It still works out cheaper to breed my own then it is to buy anyway so I don't worry about that and I also like rats so that is A plus :)
I have two BHP's , a diamond cross coastal , a coastal , a spotted and a breaded dragon. My bearded dragon isn't onto pinkies rats yet so it is just the snakes. I have five tubs in a rack with four females and one tub with two males. I use bird breeding cages to grow my rats out from 4 weeks old until anywhere from 100 grams to 200 grams. I do not grow them over 200 grams for time reasons and I do not them getting fat.

My advice is to be sitting down when you read a quote from "the plastic man"

Noticed that with all plastics places, like to make some money on there HD products.

Rick
It seems you either pay Aussie prices to maintain Aussie standards or import from countries which may use slave labour and lesser standards.

I use 55 lt black plastic tubs from the reject shop and make my own lids out of old bird cages, I keep 2 females and a male in each tub although the males are rotated between different tubs, works fine and they breed fine as well.

I use 55 lt black plastic tubs from the reject shop and make my own lids out of old bird cages, I keep 2 females and a male in each tub although the males are rotated between different tubs, works fine and they breed fine as well.
I use my tubs in a rack a so I do not need lids.

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 172
Google 'the plastic man concrete mixing tub'.
Just for everyones information I have emailed this place and asked for a quote for 10 of the handi bin small tubs and have just recieved a quote of $105 each bin GST inclusive plus freight from Victoria upon order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back