Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig.a.c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Hey everyone.

This might be a stupid question but i'll ask anyway.

How bad is a bite from one of these? I have read that a fatal bite is likely only to occur in small children and the elderly. I have seen many pics of people free handling them. If one was to bite someone, say, between 20 - 40 years of age, how bad would it be?

Thanks - Craig.a.c

Once again you all might think that it is a stupid question, but i want to know.

Vomitting, fever, headache, dizzyness, pain and swelling at the bite site. Yes it could kill but like you said in infant children or elderly if they get a bad enough bite with alot of venom injected but otherwise it really isn't capable of killing if medical treatment is taken as anybody would once bitten by a venomous snake.They rarely "dry" bite, most of the time venom is injected it just varies how much. IMO

Red bellies are mostly a very placid snake, but as Adam said a bite from one is not pleasent and it could kill you, though it's not likely. They are a potentially deadly species.

They can but the ones that don't .............. well it's gonna be fun to try and tame one, personally I wouldn't want to take to many bite before I realize, hey this one ain't tame LMAO :twisted: :D

heard that a bite from a red bellied black shows symptons years after the bite has occured. but i will still get a rbbs one still but!!! :)

The red bellies i've free handle have been just like a placid python, it is a risk, i've never handled them as loosly as a python but i'm sure theres that people who do and don't get bitten.

i think its stupid how some people free handle RBBS no matter how placid the animal is. they are still potentially dangerous.

But i am am stupid Tommo :) I take it you have never handled a placid red belly?

Nah it's not stupid. I want to free handle death adders!!!! tee hee hee. now that's stupid!!!!!! But thats just me as everyone knows. No Fuscy it's not a tall tail, the bite from a rbb can be reoccuring just like is it Ross River syndrome, I think. It's the mozzie that carries and believe me it's true as I have had it when I was living in Tamworth. I have an old friend who was bitten by a rbb when he was 13, now he is 25 and every couple of years he get really crook, just like when he was bitten, maybe coinsidence but I have also heard the same.

Good on you Craig, you posted what I wanted to post today but thought ppl might think I was a di**head LMAO ..I'm only kidding by the way - Bartiji has apparently copped a dry bite off one before (lucky that!) They are beautiful snakes -perhaps I can go as far as saying IMO, one of the best looking Epalids in Oz.

ps. Sorry to add this, but I'd never allow a yob like Ray Hoser within 5 miles of me if I was to keep one!

Without medical treatment it is potentially fatal. You would be an idiot not to seek medical reatment if bitten. I know a 30yo man that was bitten 2 times on the ancle by a 5ft red belly, was in hospital for 2 weeks with horrible tissue damage and intence pain. At no stage was it life threatening tho. All went well.
When I had red bellies I free handled them with absolutly no problems, however I knew they were free handled before I bought them.. they are fantastic snakes and are usually either very placid or very flighty, they go wild over food and the scent of food, so NEVER go near them after or during a feed. I would never suggest anyone should free handle dangerous elapids.

craig

Well said craig!!!! I tried to "touch" a yearling and by crickey did it nearly get me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It used to feed on raw mince meat rolled into a ball and offered on the end of a skewer. Never envenomated the raw meat, but I wouldn't like to put my hand in there after I patted it and it tried to bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was only 3 foot long but I wasn't going to risk it, I would rather fight a 12 foot scrubby thatn a 3 foot RBB.

LMAO, thats a classic Adam!

I gather the venom in a hatchy RBB is of the same potency of an adult, only in smaller quantities? Might seem like a dumber question than Craigs LMAO - sorry Craig mate, you started it!LOL ...but,...here goes....are the hatchies capable of envenomating prey from day one, or is it something that develops as they get older? sorry! - I had to ask!

Are you taking the piss out of me or what??????? Of course they envomate from day one.

You must remember, although you are not likely to die if you get to hospital in time, venom is designed to destroy and digest, it starts to digest your insides and may leave you with permanent damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back