regularity of sheds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtosnakes

Reaction score
:?:
Hiya ppl,

Just wondering how often snakes shed and does it vary between species? I have a 9 month old male stimson and was just curious as to how often I can expect him to shed. Is there any particular behaviour patterns I should be looking for??
Any info or opinions greatly appreciated.... :?
Mel

They will shed more when they are growing the most, so they will shed much more often when they are young compared to when they are older, things to look for are dullness of there colours, cloudy eyes, and probably will go off food for a week before hand. Heres an example of before and after.

1_G.sized.jpg

2_G.jpg

So are we talking every couple of months? Or more... or less.....

thanks for the pics, what a difference!!

Depends on there age, for hatchies every couple of months or say 3, adults, obviously longer no idea how much though.

Like Pugsly said depends on their growth rate. From my experience, my childreni (under year old) roughly 4-6 weeks. My older carpets (3-5 years) are more every 2-3 months. Just over a month for your little guy should be normal (although don't panic if it takes a few weeks longer or shorter).

it really all depends on how much and how often you feed your snake. i just upsized my male coastals meals to adult rats, one every 5 days and he is only having 3 weeks between sheds :)

Harry is on a fuzzy every week at the moment. Thanks so much for all your input guys.

hi,
my pair of blonde maccies have been shedding every 2 weeks since i got them,
but they have also trippled in size, anything from 2 weeks for growing hatchlings and
up to a few months for adult sized snakes,
the more they eat as hatchlings the quicker they grow, so the more often they shed,

cheers,
steve......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back