Rehomed spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_mike

Reaction score
Maculosa.jpg

I'm the very happy recipient of a spotted python which was recently captured in the Darwin region & handed in to NT Parks & Wildlife. I'm thoroughly impressed that they took the effort to advertise it rather than euthenase it.

It was kind of funny - they emailed me that (s)he was a bit "cranky", but when I picked him / her up they gave me the distinct impression that the snake is very cranky & that they didn't want him /her back under any circumstances - can't comment yet as I havent tried handling yet. I look forward to a few bites after (s)he has settled in.

Anyway, it was all rather rushed & I haven't really done my research. So a couple of questions. How large do spotteds get? Mike Swan's book says they get to 1.5m in captivity, but I'm guessing this is a maximum. Whats the usual maximum size?

Also, I'll need to think about an enclosure soon. (S)he's in a plastic tub at the moment - Parks & Wildlife reckon (s)he's about 90cm long, but looks a lot smaller to me. Any recommendations for enclosure size?

I should really try to determine the sex so I can stop this annoying (s)he business.

What a stunner! He/she's got a great pattern and colour. They are great snakes, very hardy and great starters animals. 1.5m is as you said a max length they tend to average around 1.2m.

Congrats on getting so lucky and enjoy your new friend.

thats a beauty of a spotted loving those blotches along the back almost like a stripe

Yeah about 1.2 to 1.5 m long mines 16 months old and about the same size 90ish cm
but you will need a enclosure about 900x400x400 min with a heat mat and theromostat hooked up
great little snake tho
handle him lots tho gotta break them outta that bitting stage

Judging by Mike's post count I'm guessing this isn't his first reptile. Mike Swan's book is a great starting point for what to bear in mind for Macs needs, being in Darwin your enclosure design isn't necessarily what most of us would run due to the ambient temps there so guys like SniperCap would be better to ask about heating needs up there.

Your enclosure size will depend on the size of your spotted at this point. Mine has lived very happily in a 600x300x350 tank for the past year but at 1.2m she was starting to look a bit restricted. She is now in one that is 900x600x750 that I made out of a TV cabinet so it doesn't need to be quite so tall necessarily but they like t climb more than you might think.

I'm not sure 'handle him lots' is the best advice. Without knowing what it has been through in the leadup to being rehomed, the priority is to get him settled in an enclosure and leave him alone to settle for a good two weeks... without handling. Then start seeing how he goes handling him briefly every few days gradually extending the handling time. You may well find he is a sweety once settled and well fed but he may just be a snake that doesn't go for that sort of thing and is a 'display' snake. Or possibly just one of those that doesn't like being gotten out but settles once out.

There are a couple of ways to work towards this too Keysman. One is to use pillow slips t cover your hands while you first get him out as it masks your heat signature to start with and you remove them while handling the snake nce it calms down. Longqi has said a lot about this in previous threads and a search might help with that. Use a hook like I do, not because I'm worried about getting tagged but because some snakes settle quicker that way a bit like the pillow cases they aren't being grabbed by hot 'predator' hands. Or you can leave the enclosure open and wait for it to get curious and come out. Regular handling should lead to a calmer snake but regular does not mean daily.

There are countless threads about the issue of 'taming' a cranky snake and they are worth looking for but lots of handling can result in the snake being distressed, they aren't puppies and as such you need to guage the snake individually.

i hope my 2 spotties look 1/2 as good as that 1 when they get older Mike, (S)he is a stunner, congrats m8.................................Ron

Wow gruni way to single me out
IMO (and this is a forum with a lot of opinions begin thrown around ) I believe the best way to settle a snake is with handling
obviously let him settle in for a week but getting him out and handling him for 15 mins or until he becomes skittish is a good start then extend this time as the snake becomes more comftable no handling the day after feeding too
handling also gets snake use to smells which he becomes familiar with which therefore makes him settle
who knows how the snake is gonna react it was given too him only one way to find out handle that awsome creature
Btw you use a hook and pillow case on your spotted ?????? Mine just settle straight away hmmmmmm lots of handling I gusse

Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out Keysman, that wasn't what I was aiming for. Partly I think it would be great to have some more info about the size etc of the snake as Mike hasn't given us a lot to work on. I also think there are greater factors to take into account here as we don't know how well it was cared for in the past or when it last fed which will affect how snappy the snake is... it may just need a good feed. The only thing that concerned me in your post was the way you chose to word the part about handling and the snake. If the snake is snappy as a result of stress then 'lots' of handling may well just stress the animal further and make it more snappy.

It's ok gruni apology accepted
I think what you and I both are trying to say is just assess the situation first let snake settle into his new environment see if he feeds ( cause we don't know when his last feed was ) then after he eats and is settled in see how he goes with handling
agreed ??????

Thanks guys,
Greatly appreciate the advice. I'll start work on an enclosure soon. (S)he seems to be settling in nicely - just gently slithered up to a mouse & opened its jaws then gave it a gentle squeeze - placid towards its prey, just not towards me. I was planning on Gruni's approach & leaving him / her a fortnight before attempting to handle, unfortunately I've just found red dots floating in the water bowl, so I'm going to be engaging in mite eradication before my Darwin Carpet contracts them - they're housed in different rooms for quarantine but I'm not keen on a source of mites anywhere in the house. This is going to be stressfull for a new snake, but it can't be helped.

Heating won't be necessary - ambient temperature is the go up here.

Finally, thanks Tinky. I think you were making a suggestion for a name & not a comment re my avatar. Brilliant suggestion. Ladyboy it is.

I'm off to read about mite eradication - Cheers.

Look forward to updates Mike. Shame about the mites but that isn't such a big issue in the grand scheme. Good to hear that s/he's eating already. How big is s/he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back