Reptile Licence Concern...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koula

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm getting a Children's Python soon. I sent away my application for the licence last week and got a phonecall today from the EPA saying that my residential address was different from the address where I planned on keeping the python. :oops:

Basically, I live in a unit/apartment in town - but I spend a LOT of time at my parent's place. My dad also has set up heating/lighting and all that cool stuff for an enclosure for the python at their place... so keeping the python at my parents place (especially with the winter months) would be best.

Anyhow, I told the EPA guy to register the python at my unit address. (otherwise they'd reject my application). Technically I could keep the python at the unit, but what are the consequences of having the reptile elsewhere other than the registered place of keeping (ie: parent's place)? Are there massive fines? Do you just get a slap on the wrist? Will the EPA even bother checking up on one single Children's python?
I'm pretty sure they wont do a surprise!-surprise! visit out of the blue on me (not like I'd be home anyway)... :?

I just want what's best for the little fella... but yeah, I'm curious as to know why they wouldn't let someone have two places, and what the consequences of going ahead and keeping it at my folk's place may incur.

Or am I just worrying too much? :roll:

Well they will now!

Why not keep it with you..

I think at worst you would get your licence revoked, maybe after that you would get a fine i'm not sure about QLD but in NSW they i think they work on a 3 strikes your out thing.

I would just keep the snake where you want and not say anything, also i think where you are cold isn't going to be a problem if you are setup right.

Naomi and Steve.

Sounds odd to me but its Qld. Here(NSW) you nominate the address at which your reptiles will be held. So you have your postal address and the address where your animal is held. Theyt can be the same or......wait for it......different.
Probably some jumped up bottom rung martinette bureaucrat in the making.

That's what I mean... what's the point of keeping a python if you arent going to be at the "registered residential address" most of the time. I'd rather keep it at the place I travel to most of the time so I can feed it, clean it and enjoy it's company.

I just wasn't game to ask the EPA guy what the fines/consequences were just in case he put a "check this girl's place out" in his books. ;)

Hey Nome, sup? My Ts are doing great, as are the scorps. :) How's your critter's doing? Steve Nunn is helping me in getting into breeding Ts.

Reptile licence concern.

Yes you can.
In the QLD record book on the first page , You fill out your name, residental address and postal address.
The next question to be answered is " Wildlife under my control is/are located at." That where you write your parents address.

Re: Reptile licence concern.

bwana said:
Yes you can.
In the QLD record book on the first page , You fill out your name, residental address and postal address.
The next question to be answered is " Wildlife under my control is/are located at." That where you write your parents address.

There was. And I did fill my parent's place in... but then they rang me and said "No, no, no... y'cant do that - it MUST be the same as your residential address"...

Grrr. Damn paperwork red tape office work mumbo jumbo...

Reptile Licence Concern.

That's just typical of most government departments.
I personally know of one harrassed herp. who had his daughter take over his animal on her licence.
Her licence address was Townsville(JCU) while the animals were kept 400 kms north with the approval of the EPA.
Why then do they ask that question on the first page of your record book.
Maybe they have changed it since mar 31 along with all the other rules.

RE: Reptile Licence Concern.

Why don't you make your residential address your parents address? Then if they get a visit they just say "he's out" OR " he lives here but stays in town during the week because of work" etc etc etc. They can't fine you for not being home when they call :)

They do it so that people can't get animals on their licence for other people who may, for some reason, not be allowed to have a licence.

I have just recently rung the EPA to ask this question myself, as a friend had to move into a temp place where he can't currently keep his reps. Hence, I am babysitting them.

Firstly, get mum or dad to obtain a licence, then on purchase of the rep, MA it to mum and dads place and it can be snug and happy in mum and dads care.

You can have mum & dad as the owner, or you will need to also include a letter explaining the situation and why your snake resides there and you don't.

OR: You could just notify a change of address once you get your licence. ;)

I'm glad i don't live in Qld!

Here in NSW, as Pete put forward above, we're allowed to have a seperate nominated premises for keeping our animals, from our postal address. -This is how i have my licence. I've never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back