Reptile License

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysnakeau

Reaction score
:D YIPPEE!!! Got my reptile license today.

Strange customer :?
I had a fella come in my shop yesterday enquiring about a reptile license. He seemed to think getting a license was really difficult and that I shouldn't expect mine for at least 6 weeks. I wasn't sure what to think but he reckoned his application was being reviewed and that National Parks were going to inspect his premises before they'd accept his application, & that he had to have an enclosure already set up so they can see what he's gonna keep it in. Then he started telling me about this tree snake he got for his kids and told me how difficult it is tame a snake. His snake was trying to bite and he was worried about it striking his kids because he believed his snake was mildly venomous because it can put you to sleep.

I said, "They're not difficult to handle if you buy them from a good breeder" He then told me he picked his up out of the bush - DER, I wonder why it bites -
but he applied for his license and told them about him having this snake. They then told him that he had better have released it by the time they arrive to inspect his property because he was illegally holding fauna.

I gave him the phone number of our local HERP Group and then he proceeded to ask me about having a red-Belly or King Brown snake. I told him he wouldn't be allowed to keep them until he had held a class 1 license for at least 2 years & he would never be allowed to pick up snakes from the wild. He couldn't understand why, & insisted that it was harsh to have to pay $200 for a captive bred snake when there's plenty in the wild. He then asked me why you could keep a constrictor with a class 1 license but couldn't keep a brown snake. I finally decided to just agree with him with "Oh really, WOW!" replies & told him to contact the HERP group for help.

When my license turned up today I realised he was just a nutcase. You ppl had already said it only takes a couple weeks but I am an easy sucker to taking in incorrect information.

Do they really inspect your house for reptiles before you get your licence or is that a myth?

RE: Re: RE: Reptile License

They didn't inspect my house. They got their money, & I got my book. This bloke just didn't have a clue what he was on about.

Im with you craig.a.c LOL what a crack up, I dont know how you managed to keep a straight face that would have done my head in

I have never heard of any ones house being inspected , but if he is telling people he is keeping illegally wild caught animals then maybe they should pay him a visit ( you have is adress dont you :wink: :wink: ) .
but serioulsy he sounds like he is either full of it ....or misinformed .

I definately think he should give them a miss, he dont sound too bright and he wants to keep vens when he has kids and by the sound of it not a great deal of experience.

I would say that person will be a prime candidate for "soon to be" Darwin award recipient. One thing is for sure he is depriving some village of it's idiot.

As for house inspections, I have spoke to a few people in perth about CALM inspections. They keep a category 5 Animal (RBB) then they did inspect their premise's. This is the only state that i have heard of doing this.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Reptile License

Loudenj said:
I would say that person will be a prime candidate for "soon to be" Darwin award recipient. One thing is for sure he is depriving some village of it's idiot..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good call!!!!! cracked me up!
yes i asked them on the phone what will happen before i get my licence, and they said i send the money and form and they send the licence and booklet.

as far as i can tell they just check the booklet reguarly and i think you have to have a higher class of licence before they inspect your house, unless someone has called them because you are keeping animals illegally or mistreating them

dickyknee said:
I have never heard of any ones house being inspected , but if he is telling people he is keeping illegally wild caught animals then maybe they should pay him a visit ( you have is adress dont you :wink: :wink: ) .
but serioulsy he sounds like he is either full of it ....or misinformed .

I don't actually :? but I am confident that if he contacts the HERP Group, he will soon be pulled into line. I just know to be wary of him in future. He doesn't want to pay $200 for a snake, let alone the cost of his licence so he was probably no more than just a scatterbrain know-it-all who knows nothing. Its very rare that I speak of ppl like this but ppl taking wildlife from the bush just doesn't get any credit points from me. I have even gone to the extent of offering my shop as a "Drop in Centre' so then I know I will hand them over to FAUNA or WIRES, even for the vens, so long as they are securely contained I don't have to do anything except hand them over.

Hi there,

this is my first post here,

i am shortly looking at getting my first snakes (a pair of stimmys) and am going legit with license etc.

but i do have an aquaitence who has a snake with no license. it was captive bred, but obviously some people are more ruthless bout making a dollar than playing by the rules sold it was sold to him, no questions.

i have mentioned he should get a license, (he did not know you were supposed to have one), but is worried he will either get in trouble, or have snake taken away.

is there anything this person can do, to get on the right side of the law, without loosing a pet?

Cheers
Stew

lmao. That dingus needs to open his ears i think. So many things he said are laughable... if he does get a license, i hope he can't find any snakes in the wild. i didn't think you were supposed to take em from the wild anyway (illegal)

sorry toy77, no idea (maybe he could fudge the books, to make it appear he bought it after getting his license (if the person he got it from has a record book)

Toy77, He could possibly explain to the authorities his situation and hope they'll help him....They might give him credit for coming clean....although they'll hopefully smack the breeder he got it from very hard.

Here in WA, if you have category 5 animals, you need to have CALM come inspect where the animal/s will be kept. And I believe you have to have relevant experience.

Category 5 species are:
Southern Death Adder
Desert Death Adder
Pilbara Death Adder
Olive Python
Tiger Snake
Mulga Snake
Spotted Mulga Snake
Dugite
Gwardar
Gould's Monitor
Southern Heath Monitor

Loudenj said:
As for house inspections, I have spoke to a few people in perth about CALM inspections. They keep a category 5 Animal (RBB) then they did inspect their premise's. This is the only state that i have heard of doing this.

Thats correct - CALM also do random inspections.........as many of WA's owners found out a couple of months ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back